Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: PCB Designing Tools  (Read 3541 times)

grldfischer

PCB Designing Tools
« on: July 21, 2010, 12:56:29 PM »
Hello All,

I am brand new to PCB design and I came across this forum while browsing. It’s very interesting to meet members here who are sharing information on PCB designing and manufacturing. I would like to know if we have any free online tool available for reviewing PCB designs. I know we have lot of free software's available on web which helps in PCB designing but I need some free tool which helps to verify my PCB design for errors. Information on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

kam

• Administrator
Re: PCB Designing Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 20:29:31 PM »
Hello,

what do you mean by "verify my design"? In terms of connections and logic errors such as overlaps or lines being too close, many free tools can do that. I use eagle PCB lite version, which is free but with limitations. I am satisfied with he results though, yet the libraries are a little bit mess.

grldfischer

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
Hi Kam,

Thanks for your reply. What I meant was DFM (Design for Manufacturability) check for PCB designs because one of my friends suggested that the new DFM methodology helps designers incorporate manufacturing knowledge during the initial design process, preventing design errors early in the design process and reducing the need for costly corrections later. So I would like to know if we have any free software’s available for DFM check?

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 18:01:12 PM »
Oh, i got it. No sorry i know not something free.

grldfischer

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:37:25 AM »
Hey Kam,

Do you know any tool or software where we can pay and get DFM check for our PCB design. Because I am looking out for PCB manufacturers for ordering PCBs for my business.
I need to check PCB designs before I send it for manufacturing so that I can prevent the design errors at the initial stage as it gets harder to locate points of error on circuit board later. Please help me.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:47:37 AM by grldfischer »

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 17:17:17 PM »
Well, i am not familiar with the subject. Try this trial version of GerbTool, which has Design for Fabrication (DFF) (optional). Get in contact with a reseller in your country and request more info.

grldfischer

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:02:17 AM »
Hey Kam,

Thank you so much for your reply. I contacted PCB supplier Sierra Proto Express and checked with them about DFM check for my PCB designs. To my surprise I came to know that they have an online tool called "Better DFM"  that detects our design errors right from the start and prevents On-holds and Re-spins. It also ensures that we have a complete set of files for manufacturing and our Gerber files electrically match our CAD design.Thanks again for your information.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:01:20 AM »
Excellent info you provided us grldfischer. Much appreciated! Thanks

rocky8yan

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 13:38:09 PM »
You could use CAM350 software for check design, IT free
Leave you E-mail ro post a E-MAIL to me , i will send you.