Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Simple RS232 Encoder/decoder help  (Read 2214 times)

etaphi

Simple RS232 Encoder/decoder help
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:38:19 AM »
Hi there,

Sorry - I'm new to this forum but there are some excellent threads and information here - so thank you so far already.

I'm an electrician by trade, so electronics are not my speciality so a little help here would be great.

I would like to create a small PCB that will allow me to send multiple switches down few wires than I would generally use.  To explain this better, imagine if I had 15 switches to send to a remote location, but I didn't want to have to use a 30 core cable, is it possible and cost effective to create a small PCB that could encode this information on a single pair of cables and then decode it at the other end using serial communications or is there something even easier?

(furthermore the signal would be 5V digital - on/off)

Thanks for you help

kam

• Administrator
Re: Simple RS232 Encoder/decoder help
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 19:08:21 PM »
that will be very easy to design. you need a PISO (Parallel in - Serial Out) encoder to encode 8 (or 16 or 24 or 32...) channels, and then a SIPO (serial in parallel out) decoder. 3 wires are enough for the transition. No need of microcontroller or such.

PISO: 74148 (can be any 74148 such as 74LS148 or 74AS148 or 74HC148, i suggest 74LS148)
SIPO: 74164 (also any type-suggest LS)