Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Peltire TE  (Read 17054 times)

Alex

Peltire TE
« on: March 01, 2008, 11:58:50 AM »
I was googling around and found this device. It is called Peltier device. This is a thin element that when you power it with dc, it transfers heat from it's one plate to it's other plate. So, one plate gets all the heat and the other plate goes to zero degrees! Some people used this for cooling their PC but because of this big temperature change they had big amounts of moisture and you know what moisture does to your computer.

This device is powerd with 12-15VDC and has power of 50 Watts and i saw some of 280 Watts. That means that must draw more than 15 Amps. I really do not know if someone can control it's efficiency and reduce the temp difference so it will be less moisture inside PC.

It looks like a very good way of cooling pc!

kam

• Administrator
Re: Peltire TE
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 14:29:25 PM »
My man!

Some months ago PCB Heaven was running on external servers. There i had some info about a project that i was preparing. This project i called it "Hybrid cooling system". I live in a rather hot country which gets up to 45deg. C during summertime. Thus, a cooling system with fans is either to inefficient or too loud for 24/7 that i run the pc in my bedroom. Also, water cooling is not a solution because the coldest cater will only be 45 degrees (the air is 45 degrees under shadow). And of course i hate air conditions.

I live by sea and thus the air has a lot of humidity. I design for this a system using peltier as a cooling device but the effect is not immidiate. It cools water that cools the CPU, GPU, HDD and also the case.
I will post it here also.

ScubaCap

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 17:54:56 PM »
AWESOME! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 19:59:22 PM »
indeed  :) ;) :) ;) ;) :) ;)

Mosquito

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 21:12:33 PM »
And why bother with this peltier and not have an external radiator to cool water with 2 or even 4 fans?

manley_V

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 21:27:02 PM »
But i think kam has already tell that the air in his country goes up to 45. No matter how many big or small fans you put, the lowest temperature will be 45 degrees C that i really believe you will never have. I suppose you will have water temperature up to 50 (or more depending on your CPU). This you can achieve with only air cooling. Kam i suppose wants to have his cpu working lower than 50 degrees (and silently).

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 22:05:24 PM »
But i think kam has already tell that the air in his country goes up to 45.

Yep. that's right. i did.

Sometimes here in Greece is very very hot and because Greece is all surrounded by sea, the humidity is a hell.
You can have some good results with plain air cooling but hell, the noise is hell. Even the 'silent' fans make noise.
But the water pumps used for aquarium are really really silent (especially a good one). So silent that you may not even hear it. That's why i came up to this idea.

Alex

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 22:57:26 PM »
Ok and now the hard question. How can you control this thing that uses 15 DCV and draws more than 15Amps? Is it possible?

I searched around the internet and i found some very funny applications. Also i can surely confirm that this device, due to the vast temperature difference (up to 64dec.C) it causes moisture condensation and finally water drops. Not very good for the CPU.

One man made a coffee pot with peltier to keep his coffee warm.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 23:31:55 PM »
Actually you can control it with a PWM. The only problem is the amperage that it draws.

But this is not nowadays a matter. For example, BD909...912 can easily manage 15Amps@100V. So everything can be controlled. Believe me.
After all, of you happen to know motor driver, they can control with these power transistors larger amounts of amperes.

So, PWM is the answer, BD909 is the switch.

Alex

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 23:43:16 PM »
Man i like you because you have all the answers!

Thanx!

manley_V

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 02:30:28 AM »
One man made a coffee pot with peltier to keep his coffee warm.

Now this peltier is for cooling or heating because i get alittle bit confused

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 02:43:53 AM »
It is not either cooling or heating. It is a heat transfer device. It transfers the heat from one plate to another. So, one plate will be hot and the other cold. If you put the coffee on the hot, you get a warm cofee. If you change it, you get an ice cofee!  :P :P

ScubaCap

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 16:18:45 PM »
And i found some really nice peltier on Ebay on a very good price. Man i beginning to like this gadget!

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 22:58:20 PM »
yes, they are not really expensive for what they do. But i do not know the reliability of those things

Alex

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 23:11:06 PM »
You tickled my curiosity. I will order one for test.