Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: PIC trainer  (Read 2723 times)

bob

PIC trainer
« on: February 17, 2011, 14:03:50 PM »
Hello Kam,
I have been working on this for the past 5-6 weeks and I think result is not bad at all. I call it a "trainer" and when you see a picture of it, it may prompt others to make something similar. After all, PIC tutorial needs as many pupils as possible. One condition I have imposed on my self before going ahead with this; most, if not all components had to be out of old or discarded equipment so the cost was minimal or as low as I could have managed. It helps to reduce the "stuff" going into waste, one learns few things while salvaging bits and peaces and importantly, it is easier on the wallet.
At this point I'd like to ask, for the sake of not submitting unacceptable format, what resolution and format (.jpg , .gif, .png) is preferred and accepted before I go and do it. I have noticed that circuit diagrams are .png and come up quite large and clear. I am not sure about photos and such. So, over to you.
Cheers. Bob

kam

• Administrator
Re: PIC trainer
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 16:40:02 PM »
Bob, i have to admit that this post is the best i have ever received in this forum, mostly because of the "salvaging" idea. If you see my projects, they have many parts from items that were supposed to be thrown away, and this kind of recycling is my general proposal to everyone. When i am ready, i will post a list of parts that i have used in my projects.

regarding your post, i am not sure what you want to upload. Regarding the photos, upload the best resolution possible for this forum, i mean, better upload png. There is a limitation from this forum script, and from yahoo php.ini file. I usually upload photos 1600x1200, larger are unacceptable from yahoo (for some reason that i do not know). Try this resolution, and if you have problem with the forum script, inform me and i will see what i can do.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 16:43:06 PM by kam »

bob

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 22:30:11 PM »
Thanks Kam,
the resolution of 1600X1200 is quite adequate. I've got "side tracked" overnight with work more then I like it and will delay this for a day or so. You know what is like. We have developed a "nasty" habit throughout our evolution, namely, we want to eat every day so doing work before pleasure is annoying, but it has to be done, otherwise, the stomach rumbles unhappily.
What I was asking really was the space limitations at your end, space on the server allocated for uploads by individuals etc. It would make a difference, I assume, whether you are hosting the site on your equipment, or your ISP provider's. In one of your posts, I vaguely remember, you have made a comment regarding an upload from someone as being a bit larger then you would have liked it.  Also, if I decide to submit a video clip instead what do you prefer, mpeg, avi or wmv, or, is it my choice?
Perhaps, if there are issues in regard to space, you may want to make a note on the home page, so everyone knows.
   Just a suggestion. Cheers. Bob
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 22:35:35 PM by bob »

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »
bob, i moved pcbh to yahoo servers, which has unlimited space. feel free to upload unlimited items :)

regarding the movie, i strongly suggest you upload to youtube, or send me the file (whichever format) to upload in my yutube account. this way, everyone will be able to see it without the need of downloading specific codecs. as far as i know, if you do not want the videos to be in youtube, i would say better upload them in mpeg format.

bob

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »
Very well Kam,
I'll submit a file in .mpeg format and since you have been doing this for quite while, I'll leave it to you to post it as you see fit. That way, the overall style of this site will remain uniform.
Till then. Cheers. Bob