Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Soldering station lcd problem???  (Read 31477 times)

hamradio

Soldering station lcd problem???
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:09:36 AM »
Hi everybody!!!
I've just finished this interesting project for the soldering station, everything works from the first run!!! Cool!  ;)
BUT everytime there is BUT i have strange problem with the lcd 16x2,
The letters and the numbers are in hieroglyphic style??? Where i'm wrong??? Please help! The wiring is OK!

kam

• Administrator
Re: Soldering station lcd problem???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:21:01 AM »
is it possible to upload an image?

hamradio

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 16:02:37 PM »
Maybe the problem comes from the programming i think and Kam like a creator of this cool project from the site section projects, i'll be very pleased if you help me??? I'm using multi PIC programmer ver 5.2 from the ham radio india operators page  http://feng3.cool.ne.jp/en/pg5v2.html very good one easy to do and very cheap
The prblem comes from the programming software i think WinPIC or IC-prog any suggestions for other???
The device is working read and write with NO errors but the soft shows a problem with config word they are 9 instead of 8???

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 18:49:01 PM »
try MPLAB. it is the software developed by microchip. excellent choice.

hamradio

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 20:17:38 PM »
I found the problem is NOT the programmer, every lcd has different comunications pinout and then i've read that your pinout is different, now i'll resolder the lcd pinouts and let see what will happend!!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 21:36:49 PM by hamradio »

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 22:07:59 PM »
I found the problem is NOT the programmer, every lcd has different comunications pinout and then i've read that your pinout is different, now i'll resolder the lcd pinouts and let see what will happend!!!

What type of LCD do you use? Send me a link to page where you bought it. which controller does it has?

hamradio

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 22:28:02 PM »
straight to the datasheet! http://www.peterparts.com/%5CCatalogPages%5C80%5C3599.pdf

I think this is for the IC which it have http://www.unusualelectronics.co.uk/shop/images/lcdcharset.pdf
                                                           http://fab.cba.mit.edu/classes/MIT/863.06/11.13/44780.pdf
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 22:48:04 PM by hamradio »

hamradio

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 23:27:42 PM »
It's work fine, but on  the start up the display don't lit up everytime corectly and the present temperature is hopping and starts from 4000C degree??? Strange story  8) Where can be my mistake???

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 23:51:02 PM »
hmmmmmmmmm the LCDs are the same. Let me check the code again. Please do nothing, and i will re-check the initialization routine.  Maybe i must add some delay or something. I faced the same problem with an older LCD that i had, but i thought that it was only this LCD. Keep in touch for you will be my test-subject :D I will upload a new code and you should test it, because it works fine form me.
Now regarding this 400 Celsius hop... we will work later with this. Just give me a couple of days. Do you have any photos to upload? a video or something? A website? I could feature your project when it is ready.

hamradio

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:06:34 AM »
No problem i'll be very glad this is my first PIC project and you know it's difficult need experiance for everything.. If you prepare  the hex i'll try it, i've checked the pcb twice for errors and cold solderring it's perfect and it's need  some improvements to be done, i couldn't design it  like you without bridges i have - 5  ::) I'll upload some photoes!

hamradio

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:13:53 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD9gERTFy3k
A video with the problem! And i'dont know what's happened with the thermocouple, suddenly begins working properly after resoldering, strange strory realy!!!
And on the lcd the scale frame shows sometimes and sometimes don't?

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 13:26:35 PM »
regarding the scale, i know that there is a small bug in the code. during startup, sometimes the scale is not updated correctly. i mean,  you may have set 320 degrees the potentiometer, but in startup, the scale is at minimum. is you touche the potentiometer, the scale goes to the correct position. i do know this bug, but i never went into fixing it, because i could live with it :D. But i may check this out now as well.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 15:51:16 PM »
So, download the new firmware (V1.3) :

http://pcbheaven.com/projectpages/Homemade_Soldering_Station/?topic=worklog&p=2

I connected another LCD that i had and saw the problem myself. I cannot understand why the problem was not visible with the first LCD... That is strange. Anyway. I think that the initialization problem is solved, but to tell you the truth, i am not 100% sure. please test it like a million times and send me feedback. I will test it myself as well.

The problem with the temperature bar is 100% solved.

hamradio

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 15:54:14 PM »
Thank you for the fast response!!!  8) 8) 8) I'll test it right away! and let will see!!!

hamradio

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 22:21:55 PM »
The problem is still on show but rare in series of 10 switches=2-3 times and when the R temperature goes above the set point the LED still flashes instead from the previous firmware when it's stop??? and the frame problem is better now but it's still there on the first start up! :D :D
How to fix the temp hop, now it's whith small intervals for example from 150 degrees goes to 160 back on 145 and goes to 155...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6CAin2MIyg
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 22:40:37 PM by hamradio »