Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: How to do a good Stepper driver?  (Read 3745 times)

matheuslps

How to do a good Stepper driver?
« on: March 18, 2011, 18:32:48 PM »
So people, I want to build a CNC machine from begining..

So I was searching info about the drivers that controls the stepper motors...

Most of the circuits I found uses the L297 and L298 IC.

In this moment I know that in CNC construction we use a voltade higher that the nominal voltage of the steppers and limit the current to the nominal value.

I understand how to use the L287 e L298 but I do not want to use them. I want to build my own driver with a PIC. The programing is not the problem.

The real problem is that I need to measure the current on every windings of the motores to limit it with a transistor and PWM...

But I can not measure, I do not know how. I thought of use a SHUNT resistor: a small resistor in series with the load and I read the drop voltage the terminals with PIC and calc the current. Then aply the right duty cicle. But imagine a 5 wire stepper. I will need 4 resistors, 1 for each winding and I have 3 motors. So 12 sense, shunt resistors, is too much!

Is there a way of measure this current? Is this a good ideia use a microcontroller to do the job? And not use the famous L297 and L298 pair?

bye

JamesNewton

Re: How to do a good Stepper driver?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 18:57:53 PM »
You might like to check out the open source Linistepper design:
http://www.linistepper.com

Especially the "how it works" page and the schematic.

Consider sharing what you do? Thanks!

kam

• Administrator
Re: How to do a good Stepper driver?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 20:50:25 PM »
So people, I want to build a CNC machine from begining..

James above has a complete solution for CNC, and people already have built one (find details in his site).