Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: How to replace SD card with USB external drive 80GB  (Read 2361 times)

aaronsanchez

How to replace SD card with USB external drive 80GB
« on: March 23, 2011, 16:23:14 PM »
I have this idea of using a USB external drive (80GB) to replace a SDcard (2Gb) of a small digital videocam as per the photo provided. Does anyone know how to do it? or is it possible?
As you can see my digital videocam is now getting power from an old PSU, because I lost its original AC adapter in the airport.
Although the DVcam is rated 3.7Vdc (which also requires a -3.7 volt), I make use of the +5v and -5v of the PSU because there is no available -3.7v in the PSU. Only +3.3v
Even if it is not safe to use voltage higher than the rated 3.7V, I still did it (not advisable though).
So far it is working.
Now I want to make it as a videorecorder and install it in my small shop. But the problem is the 2GB SDcard will only record video in less than 2 hours.
But I want it to record video for more than 2 hours using my 80Gb external USB drive.
Is this possible? 
Here's the photo of my miniDVCam using PSU
http://aquaponicsflyinggemsautotimer.blogspot.com/2011/03/digicam-gets-its-power-from-psu.html

kam

• Administrator
Re: How to replace SD card with USB external drive 80GB
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:31:16 AM »
although i do not know, i am still 99.99% sure that you will need a sophisticates hardware to do it, because HDDs needs of a controller, something that a pc motherboard does successfully.  for your described application, i would find the best solution to be an old laptop. If you do have one, You can get also from ebay an old laptop really cheap. Some people, give it for a dollar if you go and pick it up yourself. Make a deal like 30-50$, and use this.

cheerio

Re: How to replace SD card with USB external drive 80GB
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 00:59:30 AM »
You have to check how the Cam writes and reads data on the card. Maybe it is just simple SPI.
Then my firt aproach would be to get a MCU with USB Host Controller and emulate the SD Card by Software.

CAM <-> MCU / USB HOST <-> USB Mass Storage
DATA      <      - - - - - - - -    >       Data