Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Reinforcement of the PCB high tracks?  (Read 2681 times)

knute_gis

Reinforcement of the PCB high tracks?
« on: April 04, 2011, 22:17:54 PM »
I'm brand new to PCB's and need detailed steps on how to on this.

I purchased a UK1125(http://www.canakit.com/bi-directional-dc-motor-speed-controller-pwm.html) to control a dc motor from wondermotor(http://www.wondermotor.com/brush_gearmotor.html) and I also have a 15A power supply(https://www.eio.com/p-22089-logisys-ps350ma1-ac-to-12v-dc-15a-power-supply.aspx).

I need to reinforce the PCB high tracks, the instructions are as follows....

With the addition to an optional fan and reinforcement of the high current tracks underneath the PCB with solder or copper wires, you can go up to 10 to 15A.  Three PCB tracks have been unmasked on the bottom side of the PCB which you can reinforce if you need to handle higher currents.  A fourth connection also needs to be reinforced between the drain of Q3 MOSFET(center pin) and the M+ terminal with a short piece of high-gauge wire.

OK I found the drain of Q3 MOSFET(center pin) and the M+ terminal, but what size wire should I use?

Are the high current tracks and the unmasked tracks the same tracks?  I assume the unmasked tracks are the shiny ones without the blue coating.

So if the "shiny" tracks are the ones I reinforce should I dab a row of solder on them like spot welding?  Or is it better to use copper wire, would I lay the wire along the tracks and solder them together?

Thanks for any help, Kris

kam

• Administrator
Re: Reinforcement of the PCB high tracks?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 00:11:32 AM »
Hi Kris.

but what size wire should I use?
In a word: The bigger the better. I suggest you use at least 1.5mm2 tat can handle enough current by itself. Prefer of course single-core wire instead of multi-core

Are the high current tracks and the unmasked tracks the same tracks?  I assume the unmasked tracks are the shiny ones without the blue coating.
Exactly. The blue coating is called "solder mask", that covers all the tracks except the soldering points for technical reasons and protection.

So if the "shiny" tracks are the ones I reinforce should I dab a row of solder on them like spot welding?  Or is it better to use copper wire, would I lay the wire along the tracks and solder them together?
If i were you, i would do both. I mean, first, lay solder above the tracks. Then, solder the copper wire on the tracks. Bend the wire to match the track, and solder it all the way. This way, you can reinforce the track to handle a huge load of amperes.

knute_gis

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 13:24:21 PM »

knute_gis

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 14:02:19 PM »
I can choose between two PWM frequency of 100Hz and 200Hz.  Is one better for my application?

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 23:43:19 PM »
I can choose between two PWM frequency of 100Hz and 200Hz.  Is one better for my application?

Choose the one with the less acoustic noise :)