Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Analog (0-10v) to PWM pump control  (Read 16926 times)

ismanu4u2

Analog (0-10v) to PWM pump control
« on: May 21, 2011, 05:17:45 AM »
So I am a saltwater aquarium hobbyist with a little electronics knowledge and I was looking to use my crestron home automation system to control my tank. Well I found a DIY project for controlling these pumps See Image but I wanted to control it with 0-10v from my system. so I started looking and found your voltage controlled ac dimmer and it looked like it would do what I needed with some minor changes see Image of my changes It is exacly the same side for after T3.

You can find info on what the original circuit was doing Here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1411393&highlight=diy+wavebox

Any info will be appreciated

Thank you
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 16:42:07 PM by ismanu4u2 »

_pike

• Administrator
Re: Analog (0-10v) to PWM pump control
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:52:22 AM »
The link you posted is not working (at least right now).Please give more info about what you are going to do with your tank.You want to control the pumps to do what?What is their operation voltage and so on.....

ismanu4u2

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 20:14:00 PM »
I tried the link without being logged into the forum and it worked maybe they were working on it or something.

Anyhow the pumps are used in the thank to create waves, The pumps get put in a box and the turn on and off at the right frequency to create a wave in  the tank.  I don't have one of the pumps yet but from the reading I have done the voltage for the control of the pump is 8VDC.

So in the first circuit above the 8V is on pin5, com is on pin2, and the pulse signal is on pin1. it uses an "at" keyboard style din connector.  Like I said i only have a basic knowledge of circuits but I figured it uses the 555 timer to send a pulse to the motor controller which then turns the pump on for a set time based on that pulse. So it looked to me that if I used the dimmer circuit on this site but then used a PNP Transistor I could use the pulse signal to send the pulse to pin 1 and useing an opto-isolator to isolate the voltage of this circuit from the pumps voltage.

I am working on getting a pump to test with but money is tight right now.  The pumps are made buy Tunze=-infoxunter025]http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter025 the 6105 is what I am planning on using but the control circuit is the same for all there pumps.

Thanks for your quick reply and any help

ismanu4u2

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 20:25:25 PM »
Realized I forgot it here is the component list
Bill Of Materials
R3 Resistor 4.7 KOhm 1/4 Watt 5% Carbon Film
R4 Resistor 100 KOhm 1/4 Watt 5% Carbon Film
R5 Resistor 10 KOhm 1/4 Watt 5% Carbon Film
R6 Resistor 1 KOhm 1/4 Watt 5% Carbon Film
R7 Resistor 4.7 KOhm 1/4 Watt 5% Carbon Film
R8 Resistor 1 KOhm 1/4 Watt 5% Carbon Film
R9 100 KOhm Linear multiturn precision potentiometer
R10 Resistor 1.5 KOhm 1/4 Watt 5% Carbon Film
R11 Resistor 1 KOhm 1/4 Watt 5% Carbon Film
R12 Resistor 1 KOhm 1/4 Watt 5% Carbon Film

Capacitors
C1 1000 uF 16V Electrolytic Capacitor
C2 0.1 nF Ceramic Capacitor
C3 1 uF 16V Electrolytic Capacitor

Diodes
D1 1N4001 General Purpose Diode Rectifier
B1 2W10M Single Phase 2 Amps Silicon Bridge Rectifier

Transistors - TRIACs
T1-3 BC548 Switching and Applications NPN Epitaxial Transistor
T4 BC478 Switching and Applications PNP Epitaxial Transistor

ICs
IC1 555 Timer
IC2 4N35 Opto-Coupler

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 21:18:25 PM »
the pumps are operated with motors or with electromagnets? if they are with motors, then you need to make an inverter instead. You need to control the frequency. I am not sure if this circuit will operate normally and as expected. This circuit is a light dimmer. I have not test it with a motor.

ismanu4u2

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 22:59:54 PM »
The Circuit doesn't connect straight to the pump it connects to a motor controller that then controls a pump. the pumps are electromagnetic. I originally thought that I could just replace the 500K pot with somekind of voltage controlled pot but haven't had any luck finding anything like that. I may just have to get a pump and try it out.

_pike

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:44:22 AM »
I originally thought that I could just replace the 500K pot with somekind of voltage controlled pot

Why do you want to do this?

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 16:06:54 PM »
it connects to a motor controller that then controls a pump

So, you want a circuit that controls a motor, this motor drives the pump?Or the pump is electromagnetic? It cannot be both electromagnetic and motor driven. The pump is AC or DC?

_pike

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 16:33:53 PM »
Kam look Reply #2 he says......

"I don't have one of the pumps yet but from the reading I have done the voltage for the control of the pump is 8VDC"

also  ismanu4u2 when you buy the pump post a schematic of the driver circuit.....(but why a simple motor would have a driver?)

*edit
the 6105 product you refer to doesn't match to any result of the search tab locate in the site you linked.Please give us specific link to see the exact pump that you will use.....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 16:39:36 PM by _pike »

ismanu4u2

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 16:39:36 PM »
Why do you want to do this?

Because I want to be able to control the pumps with 0-10VDC. The First Schimatic is a circuit that I know will control the pumps and adjusting the Pot in that Schematic changes the rate at which the pump turns on and off.

So, you want a circuit that controls a motor, this motor drives the pump?Or the pump is electromagnetic? It cannot be both electromagnetic and motor driven. The pump is AC or DC?

Sorry I kept inter-changing pump and motor Its a Pump here is a drawing of the setup

Here is a link to a youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1duSSdjRb4 video that shows what it does.  I know the system works by sending the Pulse to the controller I am just trying to do it with 0-10v from my home automation system instead of a standalone thing I have to adjust by hand

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 16:43:15 PM by ismanu4u2 »

ismanu4u2

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 16:57:25 PM »
Alright well the manufacture web site is being a pain so here is a link to the pump on a vendors sitehttp://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Turbelle_Stream_2_Controllable_Pumps_(New_Generation_with_Titanium_Alloy_Shaft)_Adjustable_Flow_Aquarium_Powerheads-Tunze-TZ1343-FIPHAD-vi.html

Thanks to the both of you for your help

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 19:42:57 PM »
Voltage / frequency: 100 – 240 V / 50 – 60 Hz.

So, you cannot use frequency change method (as i said before) for this. You need instead to make a voltage controller. I am not 100% sure if the dimmer circuit that i have make will do the work.  But you can surely give it a try. Here are some things to take into account:

1. The T4 transistor that you have add will not work. The circuit is designed to operate with a triac and a triac only. So do not replace it with a transistor.
2. The pump is an inductive load. The dimmer that i have design works good for resistive loads, but not for inductive. So you need to add some more components after the optocoupler. You have to follow the instructions from the MOC datasheet page 6.
3. Before you put the circuit to work with the pump, you will first test it with a normal lamp! This is a very important step to follow, otherwise you will not be able to set the proper value of R9. The circuit is kinda difficult to set up (for the first time), so use a multi-turn potentiometer for R9.
4. If you can program a PIC, i strongly suggest this circuit instead which is self-adjustable.