Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Landing Pad Project (modding the LED sequencer)  (Read 12735 times)

Colonel Shofer

Landing Pad Project (modding the LED sequencer)
« on: October 03, 2011, 03:57:20 AM »
Howdie,

First post (apart from WHOIS) !!! Great site.

I am wanting to modify the 'LED sequencer circuit', from here, to drive four LEDS on each channel (actually, it is just 4x3, maybe 4 x 4), as in the Helicopter Pad YT video, shown here ...

http://colshofer.blogspot.com/search/label/Landing%20Pad

Could you please tell me, if the extra LEDs can be added, in parallel, or do I have to be more careful and complicated ... which is fine, so long as I know how :) (I realise I may need more resistors, at least).

Cheeky to ask for a circuit diagram? But you may love making them ;)

TYIA

CS
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 23:14:36 PM by Colonel Shofer »

kam

• Administrator
Re: Landing Pad Project (modding the LED sequencer)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 20:57:28 PM »
do you have a circuit diagram for this specific circuit? Maybe you do not need to add anything. But it is generally advised to use a common collector transistor to amplify the current to your needs.

The output of the circuit goes through a resistor (eg 470 Ohms) to the base of a NPN transistor (such as BC548). The collector of the transistor is connected to the power supply (3 or 5 volts whatever). From the emitter, 4 lines will depart, one for each LED. Also, each LED must have its own resistor. So, you want 4 leds? you need 4 resistors. The resistor has to do generally with the brightness of the LED. You will use the same resistor like the one that has the 1 led you currently have.

Colonel Shofer

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 21:06:47 PM »
TY,

Great start :) ... I am buying a PIC programmer/debugger this (or next month, from Ebay (USA)) (best price on the 'ICD2.5 Debugger USB MPLAB PIC', thoughts please?), so I will practise with the transistors, first, and build the LEDS into the pad. I will create a schematic, for the circuit, too.

TY again.

CS

_pike

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 22:27:05 PM »
I use pickit3 (clone) and i am very very pleased!!!!!! I bought for 20$ from e-bay with a zif socket it was on sale......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PICKIT-3-MCU-Universal-ZIF-socket-PICkit-2-3-ICD2-/350494272919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519b162d97
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 22:30:27 PM by _pike »

Colonel Shofer

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 21:12:49 PM »
TY friends,

Got me well on the way ...

Landing Pad (Part 4)
http://colshofer.blogspot.com/2011/10/landing-pad-part-4.html

Time to get the kit ordered :)

TY again (for now :) ).

CS

Colonel Shofer

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 23:08:41 PM »
"I use pickit3 (clone) and i am very very pleased!!!!!! I bought for 20$ from e-bay with a zif socket it was on sale...... "

TY _p, could you (and all) please take a look at these ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350451573518&ssPageName=ADME:X:EAC:GB:1120

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360098312778?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350496407264&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:GB:1123

... and give me a quick review of which one (inc yours) is 'better' and why? - I may buy a couple ;)

CS
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 23:15:08 PM by Colonel Shofer »

_pike

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 00:26:29 AM »
Avoid buying icd2 its VERY OLD,and cannot communicate with newer chips.The main difference between them is the debuging procedure.They say that it is more faster (icd2 from pickit2).(I haven't test it)I was teached to try to find my programming errors by myself and not by the debugger, and believe me you learn better!!!!.Now if you are still intrested of buying icd series i would recommend you to see the icd3 but i still insist to buy pickit3.Your final decision is yours....... ;)

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »
pickit has also programming on the go, you can load a program on the pickit, take it with you and then upload the program on a pic without a PC. the only thing that looks bad on pickit is the connector, which is not a standard connector.  nothing to worry though.
Although icd can program LF pics normally (like pickit), icd cannot program low voltage pics such as the 24f series.

_pike

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 14:07:23 PM »
the only thing that looks bad on pickit is the connector, which is not a standard connector.  nothing to worry though.

kam i think that you are wrong...what kind of connector do you mean?The pickit3 i bought has 3 extra connectors the one like the telephone's plug the pin header to pin header and one more that i cannot remember right now and i will tell you later....(I am not at home.... ;) )

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 22:55:41 PM »
oh, when i saw it, i thought it had some kind of thin special connector, not an RJ style. Maybe i'm wrong.

Colonel Shofer

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 23:13:40 PM »
Just wanted to say TY ...

http://colshofer.blogspot.com/p/with-electricity-we-will-win.html :)

Pickit3 and chips obtained, as recommended - TY.  Also getting a good price on an Arduino MEGA 2560 Kit, for all the bits and to explore that MPU route/programming, too.

Done a lot of reading, since I was last here, and your advice turned out to be tip-top - TY :)

Watch this space ;)

CS

_pike

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 00:22:32 AM »
have a good programming experience with your brand new programmer!!!!! (now we have the same ;) ) Feel free to ask anything you might want.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 13:14:47 PM »
i'm bit of a jealous here... everyone is having a pickit3 and i still use the ICD  :-\ :-\ :-\

i think i must pay a visit at ebay these days...

Colonel Shofer

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 23:06:21 PM »

Hi all, just doing some simulations, on my project, and getting build errors on your LED sequencer .asm with Proteus and MPLAB.

Fancy having a look at the errors? I like to sort out (or at least understand !!!) all such issues, so that I may learn and proceed :)

TYIA

CS

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 00:37:40 AM »
errors? what sort of errors?