Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: LCD Controller test image, similar to Kammenos' controller  (Read 2466 times)

ogdento

LCD Controller test image, similar to Kammenos' controller
« on: October 20, 2011, 17:08:53 PM »
Reference: http://pcbheaven.com/exppages/Reverse-Engineering_an_LCD_Display/

Here are some images from the controller I built - it's got the same row and col drivers as Kammenos' lcd, but it's only 160x80.  It is driven by a pic18f2455 and for now uses the pic's internal ram for display ram.

I've attached the timing diagram I'm following (got it from http://propeller.wikispaces.com/MonoLCD640, the test image that was copied into the pic's program memory - and then to the display ram, and a shot of the lcd showing the test image.

The only problem I'm having is that the first line shown on the lcd is the LAST line from the test image.  I think I've got a problem with my first line marker signal (DIO80 on the lcd) but I'm not sure.

kam

• Administrator
Re: LCD Controller test image, similar to Kammenos' controller
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 22:13:40 PM »
how do you convert the bmt into binary? Have you make a program yourself? I made a very basic software to convert images to serial data. It may help you if you do not have another means of conversion.

Thanks for the images. The LCD looks very fine

ogdento

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:16:45 AM »
hey thanks Kam!  I used a program called Dot Factory to do the conversion, it worked okay but it's a windows only app so I'd be interested in trying out what you've written.

Still got a problem with my first line not working right - or maybe it's just the lcd - but the first line of the image still shows up on the second line of the lcd, and the last line of the image shows up on the first line of the lcd.  So Kam, how are you generating the DIO80 signal?  Mine goes something like this:

Line1                                           Line2                                  Line3
DIO80: 11111111111111111111111_   _____________________  _____________________ etc
LOAD:   __111___________________  111__________________  111__________________ etc
CP:       _______1_1_1 .... 1_1_1_1__   ______1_1_1 ... 1_1_1__  ______1_1_1 .... 1_1_1__ etc

Thought I might be screwing things up because I'm setting DIO80 high before load goes high, but I think LOAD is falling edge triggered so all that should matter is that DIO80 is high when LOAD falls for the first line.

ogdento

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 17:08:16 PM »
oops, i found my mistake... i was asserting the LOAD signal before all the data was clocked in... so in effect i was sending a blank line first.  once i asserted LOAD in the right place, everything worked fine.