Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: help with UAA2016 app circuiit from data sheet  (Read 2661 times)

MrDEB

help with UAA2016 app circuiit from data sheet
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:57:19 AM »
I contacted ON semiconductor but no luck.
Want to use the UAA2016 zero voltage switch in a temp ctr soldering iron but how to use??
Here is the circuit I tried to get working but to no avail.
http://www.n0ss.net/hakko_936_schem-pcb_&_mod_v1r7.pdf
Going with a PIC, Hakko 907 iron but how to use the UAA2016??
I am lost big time with math.

kam

• Administrator
Re: help with UAA2016 app circuiit from data sheet
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 22:33:27 PM »
That's a very nice chip! I never knew this before! I checked the datasheet, and i think i will get some of those for stock. I wish i knew them before, when i was designing my heater. Anyway. There is a nice typical application in page 3 of the datasheet:

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/UAA2016-D.PDF

If i were you, i would start messing around with the chip by designing and testing this circuit. Then i would play with the Rs resistor. I do not think that you need to know how to solve the math for RL and ILOAD. This is what you need to work on (page 5):

Temperature Sensing (Pin 3)
The actual temperature is sensed by a negative temperature coefficient element connected in a resistor divider fashion. This two element network is connected between the ground terminal Pin 5 and the reference voltage − 5.5 V available on Pin 1. The resulting voltage, a function of the measured temperature, is applied to Pin 3 and internally compared to a control voltage whose value depends on several elements: Sawtooth, Temperature Reduction and Hysteresis Adjust. (Refer to Application Information.)

And of course you need to experiment with the hysteresis by R3 (pin 2)

I'm -almost- sure you do not need to mess with math. I wouldn't... Unless you want to know (predict) the current and thus the power consumption of the heater.