Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Fade in/out led aquarium lamp  (Read 4744 times)

alexander

Fade in/out led aquarium lamp
« on: December 17, 2011, 03:37:21 AM »
Hello,

I am new here and from Austria. I have only recently started playing with leds but so far haven't done anything elaborate... I found this site searching for a fade in / fade out solution for an aquarium lamp and have looked at the "circuits" section which looked promising - and which is absolutely great by the way!

My problem is that I basically want to be able to
(a) dim
(b) fade in / out very slowly when the power comes on/off (over the course of 30 to 60 minutes)
what amounts to a total of about 30 to 60 10W emitters in several circuits (there will be different color led circuits so that the light mix can be controlled/varied). (Heat management is another story ;-))

What I have gathered so far is that PWM would be the best way to go - but other than that I don't exactly know to accomplish this. I also don't know if such a long fade-out would be feasible or if it would be best to use a programmable platform where I also set he time the leds are on 100% (which I basically wanted to avoid for reasons of my programming skills).

So I'd really like to hear your opinions/suggestions on this project idea.

Cheers & thanks, Alex

D-the-Greek

Re: Fade in/out led aquarium lamp
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 17:43:05 PM »
Hey Alex,

welcome to the forum (newbee solidarity from a Greek) ;) sorry about my black humour btw...

That sounds like a really nice idea which i might think of implement my self as i want to start an aquarium myself.
Its going to look really nice fading leds in there.

I am sure that youll get some help (sorry but not from me because im new in this world as well...i just started reading about microcontrollers and i am a very long way far away...)

Only this circuit comes to my mind =>  http://pcbheaven.com/circuitpages/555_Breathing_Pulsing_LED/  but im sure someone will help with the solution on longer fade in/out time of 30/60 min (if i understood correctly)

Greetings and welcome again. Dimitris

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
hello alexander,

PWM is one solution indeed. as far as i understand, you want this circuit to operate automatically in specific hours of the day, right? this can only be done reliably with a microcontroller.

now, if you just want to turn on a switch for fade-in and then turn this switch out for fade out, you can go with this circuit:

LED Fade-In Fade-Out Dimmer

It does not have a dimming potentiometer, but you can easily add one (check my conversation with Roger in the comments of this circuit).

alexander

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 17:47:23 PM »
@Dimitris: thank you for your answer - no black humor detected ;-) Sorry for replying to this thread so late, my spam-filter filtered out the e-mail notification and I didn't check earlier...
Great that you want to start a tank! It's a very rewarding hobby. May I ask: marine or freshwater? Maybe we can both profit from the found solutions.

@Kam: Basically it wouldn't matter to me so much if the solution works with a timer switch you use between the wall outlet and the power supply. An "internal" solution I can put into the lamp housing would of course be more elegant, since then I would only need 1 cord going out from there. As I understand that would need a microcontroller. Regarding your link - I had watched the video ;-) but I was generally just worried if the "fade-in fade-out dimmer" solution would work for the long fade-in/out times at the high wattages, since as I understood the size of the capacitor is related to this.

Cheers, Alex

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:18:45 AM »
the capacitor is related to the time. You will need a HUGE capacitor and bigger re-r4 values. as for the high wattage, that is only subject to the transistor that you will use. The BD243 is powerful enough to drive 6 amperes of load for example.

billkaza

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 17:06:26 PM »
Hello,

I'm Bill from Greece too.

I'm also interested for this project.Does anyone has a basic idea to start from?

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 18:02:57 PM »
you can start by building up the fade-in-out circuit first. then you add a timer. what exactly you want?

billkaza

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:12 AM »
I have a led tape 2 meters 8.6W/M so 17.2W. I use an 21W ballast dimmer that has a 1-10v output that you can trim it using a resistor trimmer. I also have a timer at the power plug that just turn on and off the ballast at certain times(17.00 - 23.00).What i want is when turning it on to autodim(0-100%)from  17.00 untill 17.20 and autodim(100-0%) from 22.40-23.00.

Can i have this effect using this ballast or do i need to make the fade in and out circuit?
I need the fade in and out effect to last 15-20 minutes if possible.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 19:08:09 PM »
oh i see. the time you require is very long, so i am afraid that these two circuit will not work for you (http://www.pcbheaven.com/circuitpages/LED_Fade_In_Fade_Out_Dimmer/). As for the ballast, you can hack it and see how it works. the trimmer probably works as a potentiometer which sets a voltage from one level to another. if this happens, then you can effectively connect the first circuit to the ballast and have your results.