Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: I need help in making a PS3 fan mod from scratch.  (Read 3628 times)

andymn

I need help in making a PS3 fan mod from scratch.
« on: January 20, 2012, 14:11:16 PM »
Hi all,
I have never played with  ::)electronics or soldering  ::) although I can repair pc's consoles etc.

I have searched the net for instructions on making a PS3 PWM fan mod - i have found some but, I can't read schematics and I need a diagram showing in simple terms what goes where.

My inital problem came when I opened a PS3 and saw someone had pulled the fan connector off the mobo, i am going to try and solder to the 3 points at the end of where the connector was.

What I want to do is have the fan temp controlled with an option to turn to manual. (I need a rocker switch or the like outside the case, to change from man to auto)

Can anyone help me in making one of these?

Thanks for any help
Andy

kam

• Administrator
Re: I need help in making a PS3 fan mod from scratch.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 17:11:23 PM »
hello andymn.
What is the fan supply? (12 if it is a normal PC fan) Also, you want proportional temeprature control or thermostat operation? A proportional controller means that the fan will increase speed proportionally with the temperature increment. A thermostat has 1 (sometimes 2) setpoints, and when the temperature goes above this point, the fan runs faster.

The best way to do this is with a microcntroller, but i suppose that you have no acces to a programmer or to someone that can program it for you, right?

ketske

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:31:43 PM »
I searched already for those things and you can buy kits from Velleman they have everything you wish and the best soldering kits .
I have those soldering pens and those are not expensive and good quality!

Its not that easy if you're beginning with this .
And , yeah reading schematics is the thing you really need , or else it could go wrong.
Kam has already helped me with mine.
The best and easiest way to begin is set the fan to 50% is with a small pwm mod a 555 timer a 1k rsistor  and 1uf cap cheap and effective .
And i think from there you can grow and adjust the circuit with a potentio and sensor but this gonna be more diffcult.
Im happy with this mod and had no ylods annymore.

http://www.pcbheaven.com/forum/index.php/topic,1604.0.html

My topic.

for a sample to read schematics

Search search search on google and do your best to do some homework if you wanna get something, everyone has to do it.

and about pc consoles i assemble and build those things too , knowing what youre doing at assembling and building is one thing, but to mod something different to it , is quite something else

Regards
kenneth

And if i may say this topic can be moved to " your projects"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:47:41 PM by ketske »

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 15:47:23 PM »
I wonder how this circuit works... It is not PWM, it just provides a frequency

ketske

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 18:45:13 PM »
Correct me if im wrong , and it is , its not manual controlled but continue with pulsing from the 555 timer.

You're right kam , but it controls a pwm fan only up to one speed which is here the half of his speed.

Just like you already said and explained
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 18:48:30 PM by ketske »

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 19:23:33 PM »
oh yes, that's right. You get a constant lower speed indeed.