Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Time Delay Question  (Read 2259 times)

nate

Time Delay Question
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:31:39 AM »
I'm looking at a circuit to receive a signal, say a button is pushed, and after some time, hopefully this can be adjustable, the "light" turns on.

Basically I have a water sensor, and when the water is turned on, it send a signal out.

(http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=water+flow+sensor&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1680&bih=801&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14198449091299627086&sa=X&ei=iI1eT53GCsT00gHmsfWtBw&ved=0CI8BEPMCMAY4FA)

I want this to close the circuit, and after 1 to 5 hours, be able to send power to a solenoid to shut off the water.  The circuit will hopefully power a 1" solenoid.  Can this also be done with batteries, assuming they are powerful enough to close the solenoid...

kam

• Administrator
Re: Time Delay Question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »
First solution (for those who do not know and do not want to work with PCBs and circuits): You can get a programmable timer from electric stores. These are high precision programmable on delay / off delay components which fits to your requirements excellent. They have a relay contact output and you can control high current and voltage loads easily.

Second solution (for those who do not apply to the previous solution): The delay you want to achieve is very high, and i always advice people to work with microcontroller circuits for such high delays. One made once a very nice system for irrigation, but it can work for you as well:
http://pcbheaven.com/opendir/index.php?show=7366er7836njb2059997