Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: How to make an auto ON/OFF timer circuit (20hrs)  (Read 5681 times)

Jazly

How to make an auto ON/OFF timer circuit (20hrs)
« on: February 27, 2012, 13:48:11 PM »
 Hi

I want to make a circuit which should be in ON for 4hours and off for 20 hours (this process should be done automatically)
The need of mine is to switch on the bulbs in my home daily for a period of 4 hours (6pm to 10pm) and automatically switch OFF at 10PM and again it should be switched ON next day at 6PM .

How can I make it???

thanx
 :)

kam

• Administrator
Re: How to make an auto ON/OFF timer circuit (20hrs)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 13:50:12 PM »
the most reliable method is with a microcontrolle. I us PIC but if you are a beginner you can search for arduino libraries. there will certainly be some ready-made timers.

Jazly

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 14:19:48 PM »
thanx kam,

yes im a beginner.i referred to  some websites,most of the websites r mentioning  about  IC 4060B.how can i achieve my need using this?

can u plz guide me??

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 21:17:54 PM »
take my word for this, you don't want to mess with such chips unless you know what you are doing. i do not do circuits on demand (they need test and time that i do not have) so unfortunately i cannot help you on this. The simplest way is with a microcontroller. Check out for example this:

http://pcbheaven.com/opendir/index.php?show=7366er7836njb2059997

you only need to find a way to upload the code to the pic

_pike

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 14:31:26 PM »
Hello jazly if you will use a mcu for your project you must take in account that you will definately need to use an rtc chip (Real Time Clock).Because the oscillator will probably (certainly) change it's frequency because of the room temperature, power failure stability,... and you will find yourself to be front of back time.I think Kam has made a circuit with chip and i have seen around the site a circuit for your needs.So i will post again when i will find it.....

regards _pike

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 21:55:32 PM »
Hello jazly if you will use a mcu for your project you must take in account that you will definately need to use an rtc chip (Real Time Clock).
as a matter of fact there are mcus (and pics as well) with built in RTC and with the proper PCB design you get quite a good accuracy.

_pike

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 01:59:44 AM »
there are mcus (and pics as well) with built in RTC

I didn't know that kam!!!!I think its a pretty cool module for an mcu!!!!!Please can you provive us one?
(From Microchip of course....)

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 07:56:13 AM »
PIC18F86J72  with real time clock and calendar

George

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 14:11:04 PM »
or if you want a smaller pincount (ie 20) try PIC24F32KA301 (it has a RTCC )