Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Soldering station lcd problem???  (Read 30499 times)

peterpan73

Re: Soldering station lcd problem???
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2011, 08:25:50 AM »
@ all.

Tried everything and the triac switching didn't work. Worked around with a relay and transistor to switch the triac gate and everything is working perfectly now.   WoW! Overall a wonderful project. Will upload videos later when am done.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2011, 13:16:38 PM »
Worked around with a relay and transistor to switch the triac gate and everything is working perfectly now.

I'm SOOOO curious to see what you have done and why the triac did not work for you. Really, i am...

peterpan73

« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2011, 19:32:59 PM »

I'm SOOOO curious to see what you have done and why the triac did not work for you. Really, i am...
You really expect me to reveal my messy wiring??? Will upload videos when I'm done tidying up this mess. :-)

I think there is a small gate current that is still triggering the triac even when the set temp has been reached. 
Anyways, this is a great project. Prolly the best homebrew soldering station project on the internet.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:23:32 AM by peterpan73 »

peterpan73

« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2011, 07:06:36 AM »
I was wondering could my triac be half wavering, which could be the reason behind the problem?? But if it was doing so then it should remain on even after I remove the optocouplers from their sockets. In my case the triac switched off the moment I removed the optocoupler. What do you think folks?

1:48PM  IST. More experimenting later and guess what solved the problem permanently. I used a homebrewed optocoupler consisting of a 20Megaohm  LDR in series with a 10K resistor ( $0.10)(fitted to pin 4 and 6 of opto base) and a cheap red LED ($0.04) (fitted to pin 1 and 2 of opto base) inside a pen casing cut to 3 cms in length with a hack saw and switching has never been smoother.  I've pulled the relay unit out. The power to the irons could now switch between 12V or fast heat at 24V by a SPDT switch. 

Now the soldering/desoldering station runs smoothly. ....except for the hieroglyphics sometimes on bootup.   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:26:12 AM by peterpan73 »

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »
man, this is it: I TOTALLY want to see what you've done  8) 8) 8)

i mean, i want to see the schematic of the part that you used to replace the optocoupler (which was toasted i suppose)... And some photos as well. You can blur the bad wiring   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Also, i want to see the method that you used to stick the thermocouple wire inside the solder tip.

As for the glyphs, keep in touch and when i have free time i will work again. I just cannot understand what is going on... But will keep trying. I had a vision last night: It might be some kind of RMW violation of the PIC... I will check it out.

Something last: You've done the artwork yourself, or this is a hacked box that once had a soldering station? I like it very much. And the vacuum pick, how it works? Is it hacked? You used something from ebay? Tell me more info, i want to make one myself. If you feel like, open a new thread in this board and post details about your project.

I'm happy to hear that you made it work!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:14:52 AM by kam »

peterpan73

« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2011, 16:07:03 PM »
man, this is it: I TOTALLY want to see what you've done  8) 8) 8)

i mean, i want to see the schematic of the part that you used to replace the optocoupler (which was toasted i suppose)... And some photos as well. You can blur the bad wiring   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Also, i want to see the method that you used to stick the thermocouple wire inside the solder tip.

You've done the artwork yourself, or this is a hacked box that once had a soldering station? I like it very much. And the vacuum pick, how it works? Is it hacked? You used something from ebay? Tell me more info, i want to make one myself. If you feel like, open a new thread in this board and post details about your project.

I'm happy to hear that you made it work!

schematic.. ha.. just a 10K resistor in series with the LDR from one end  and and LED at the other. What schematic do you need? Ha! For those of you with problems like mine, you can forget all that MOC3021 and MCT2E bunkum. Its simple and so much cheaper with an LDR-LED (how did I miss that?)...... uploading some videos and pics for you to see. Anyways you've done a good job kam. Thanks a ton to you.
Coming back to my setup .. the irons are generic Chinese types with inbuilt thermocouples as you can see from the video. NO external thermocouples are needed to be added from the outside which is a plus point for aesthetics. Please forgive me for the poor video quality as I do not have a hi res camera in the workshop at the moment other than my cheap cell cam.  The enclosure is a metal box used for a UPS battery that I salvaged from an auction. The vacuum pump is a vacuum cleaner operated from a footswitch and works as a desoldering suction tool, a component pickup tool and a fume extractor via carbon filter all in one... ah yes and helps clean up my workshop. Front panel artwork was composed in MS Powerpoint and screen printed.  Will upload more videos when I complete.

As for the artwork. I built all this on veroboards and used pin headers to connect to seperate boards like the one for the couple of MAAX6675 for example (see video)

Regards,
peterpan73

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:07:16 AM by peterpan73 »

peterpan73

« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2011, 16:39:33 PM »
MOre pics.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2011, 19:49:45 PM »
i love those twin LCDs!  8)

peterpan73

« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2011, 02:46:06 AM »

If you feel like, open a new thread in this board and post details about your project.

Thanks Kam. I sure will, once I complete this and will upload better quality and complete videos too, of the whole setup.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:58:21 AM by peterpan73 »

hamradio

« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
73's from me!

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2012, 16:20:28 PM »

hamradio

« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2012, 18:59:23 PM »
Kam this is ham radio greeting and mean Best wishes! peterpan know!!!

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2012, 22:51:53 PM »
:D  ;)