Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Blinking, fading and or changing color LED in Jewelry  (Read 3909 times)

Lotus_leds

Blinking, fading and or changing color LED in Jewelry
« on: September 11, 2011, 23:01:11 PM »
I sincerly hope you are able to help out with my project.
Hi, my name is Louis and I am A Jewelry designer.
I would love to insert LED's into Jewelry.
Blinking, Fading and or changing of Color.
Of course not all in one.
If possible to be able to switch it on and off.
I am not specialized in Electronics, but soldering and all those kind of techniques is no problem.

It all must be quit small and maybe it is possible to make the parts flexible (not on a breadboard) so it is easier to
insert into jewelry.

Much obliged for your help.
Regards,
Louis

_pike

• Administrator
Re: Blinking, fading and or changing color LED in Jewelry
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 00:51:58 AM »
Hello Louis and welcome to the forum.First you will have to tell us the equipment that you possess.Since you are a jewel designer you must do the circuit as small as possible... so you must have or get an smd soldering station, then you can achive you goal with simple components such as a 555 timer or using a microcontroller whereas programming knowledge is needed (and not only). what size of pcb would be nice for you?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 00:55:38 AM by _pike »

Lotus_leds

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 14:23:33 PM »
Hallo Pike, :)

thanks for your reaction.
The soldering station is no problem, I already have a small soldering torch.
I have already downloaded and tried to study on the 555, and now understand slightly what it is about.
What kind of of microcontrollers are possible.
the PCB will have to be as small as possible, because I want it to fit into a bracelet, brooch (maybe a big size ring)

Louis

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 21:44:22 PM »
i'm not sure about the ring, for it has to be a huge one to fit anything. But on a bracelet there is no problem. There are flexible PCBs which you can use, as well as flexible printed circuits. You can design the circuit and the manufacturer will print it on a flexible pcb. The cost is high but the result is exactly what you are looking for. You need to use a microcontroller with QFN package which is small, any microcontroller with this package will do. SSOP packages are also small. SO are not that small.

_pike

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 23:54:46 PM »
The microcontrollers that i refer to are 8-bit RISC architecture and the company that produces them is microchip.there are many many mcus according to the use that you want them to. Their logo is my avatar.But BEWARE except the electronic knowledge, you must know programming lanuages such as assembly, C, Basic....I would suggest you to use the 555 timer chip at least for the start.Take a look here  http://pcbheaven.com/picpages/   to take a taste of programming mcus. Kam HAS MADE AN EXCELLENT JOB FOR NEWBIES
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 00:02:42 AM by _pike »

Lotus_leds

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 00:02:14 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the information.
I have to make a study of all of this, its all new to me.
Is it not possible to use parts that are already programmed?
I found a website where they seem to sell LED's that are programmed and only have to be connected to batteries????
They have led's that flash, they have led's that change colour, and led's that fade.
But i really do not know if you can use something like this.
The website:
http://www.budgetronics.eu/N_frame.html?http://www.budgetronics.eu/Bouwpakketten-N_grp_20-1.html

_pike

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 00:12:59 AM »
yes but the particular leds are not programmable.(what i mean.....) These leds have fixed timing values.In case that you would like to make 2 different bracelets they will have different desing but the flashing rate would be the same..... ::)
So first take a 555 timer chip.This chip is ready to work it doesn't need any programming.You can add to 555 some resistors and some capacitors ans changing the speed rate of flashing, dimming etc look some intrasting circuits .....

http://pcbheaven.com/circuitpages/555_Breathing_Pulsing_LED/
http://pcbheaven.com/circuitpages/LED_PWM_Dimmer/

Lotus_leds

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 00:38:46 AM »
Thanks a lot for all your advice. :) :) :)
It surely helps me.
I will try the flexible PCB and the 555 solution.
Thnx.
Louis.

Lotus_leds

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 22:46:26 PM »
 :)
Hi, I am sorry but I have some questions about the batteries I could use in the Jewelry, with the 555.
Because it is all so small I think I will have to use Button cell batteries, or not?
Do you think we will have to insert more than one?
Is it possible to use Lithium Ion batteries? Or is there another solution?
Stronger batteries but also small in size?

Thnx,

louis

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 22:58:46 PM »
There are tons of different batteries. I remember once i came across a lithium battery 3V extra small, like a small cigarette, about 3mm diamter 15mm length. But i suggest you forget the 555 circuits. The 555 timer needs a lot of power to operate, voltage and current, and for your application you need to be efficient. A PIC microcontroller with nanowatt technology require a fraction of the power that the 555 timer requires. My keycode lock for example draws as less as 1mA in operation (excluding the LEDs and the servo) and 16uA (that is 0.016 mA) in sleep (@3V), in other words that is 3mW and 0,048mW in sleep. The 555 timer requires at least 5V to operate and draws about 12mA, which is 60mW of power. There are of course many types of 555 timers, but i am sure that no manufacturer would design an old-fashioned mature chip like the 555 with low power consumption.
As for the batteries, the more the better! An LED needs about 3.2 volts for full brightness, but 3V from a coin cell will also work. But if you are able to fit 2 cells, it will have twice the energy to operate. If you plan to use many LEDs, then you certainly need more than one battery.

Lotus_leds

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 09:01:12 AM »
thnx for the info.
I will look into this suggestion as soon as possible.

EmeldaDilliard

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 07:19:31 AM »
The attached Java program shows how to control the 8
led strip lights 12v  on the PT24E Prototyping board, when used with an SBC65EC Ethernet Board, by sending it User Datagram Protocol (UDP) packets.  The 8 LEDs count binary from 0x00 to 0xff, with speed set by the program.  How to LED strip Manufacturer do this was discovered by reading the SBC65EC and PT24E data sheets.  This was part of a graduate student project I did, so I attempted to comment the code well.  I hope it is useful to other users.  Here are its usage instructions, given LED Bulbs when run with no parameters.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:22:05 AM by EmeldaDilliard »