Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: whats better solution to buy  (Read 2540 times)

Harhus

whats better solution to buy
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:29:30 PM »
HI all

i want to build a proper UV cabinet but i'm having trouble deciding what source of UV light to get UV LED, UV light bulbs or neon tubes

as for LED i found this
http://www.kupindo.com/Ostalo/10241459_UV-LED-diode-5mm-45-kom-
which is 10 euros for 45 pieces

i found these UV light bulbs
http://www.mgelectronic.rs/product.php?action=view&code=SIUV-E27/75&group_id=4837
they are 3.5 euros each

and for neon tubes
http://www.mgelectronic.rs/product.php?action=view&code=SINFUV08&group_id=4837
they are 4 euros each

i would personally like the UV LED's but the fact there is no sheets for those LED's its better to see opinions before i go into the construction

thanks in advance

kam

• Administrator
Re: whats better solution to buy
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »
Hello Harhus

After my experience with 5mm LEDs, this is what i have to tell you compared to other light sources. LEDs are very easy to control, emit almost no heat, they are very safe since they do not break and i will die probably before they do. But you need A LOT of them. My design had about 70 LEDs for an area of about 280x200mm, and needs some 10 minutes of exposure time.

I have ordered 3W UV LEDs to make a new design of UV exposure cabinet. I will test them and i'll post the results.

It is not necessary to say that if i were to build a new UV box i would use again LEDs... Because i already ordered them :D. I had used an HG lamp and UV lamps. They were very fast (about 2-3 minutes exposure time) but had many other disadvantages. (not counting the power efficiency)

Harhus

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 00:04:56 AM »
Hi Kam

can u tell me what is the angle of emitted light if u had datasheets and what distance between the board and leds did u set and did u use reflective surface . i'm willing to risk and buy the leds i linked, about 90 of them then i can make cabinet and we can compare results

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 13:09:26 PM »
if you get LEDs like mine, they have normal 24-25 degrees angle. In my article i wxplain how you can use trigonometry to calculate from the angle the distance that the LEDs should have from the board and from each other.
My LEDs had some 2000mcd luminosity. If i would use the same LEDs for such an application, i would use at least 140 of hem for each side.

Harhus

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 22:24:48 PM »
oh im new to the site didn't see the workblog card! sorry for taking u through the trouble

well ill just do what u did and experiment with number of leds