Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: 3v Dc to 12v Dc to flash strip led'S  (Read 2658 times)

Manie Serrao

3v Dc to 12v Dc to flash strip led'S
« on: July 08, 2012, 21:25:51 PM »
Hello All,
I want to build a circuit to flash strip LED's every 15 seconds but must power it with two AA 1.5volt alkaline batteries
The strip LED's I have are the "Hi Bright" x 12v x 4.9 watt / meter. The strip will be just under half a meter. How long a set of batteries would last is also a question mark.
I have never used a DC to DC converter chip, but am not biased towards the discreet component style..........just wish I had plenty of time to fiddle....
All help would be greatly appreciated..........

Regards
Manie

cheerio

Re: 3v Dc to 12v Dc to flash strip led'S
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 15:19:11 PM »
you might try this one. But the current provided by this does not leave much room.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:55:34 AM »
plus, you should keep in mind that the output power will be less than the input power by a factor. If you power this with two 1.5V batteries able to deliver let's say 1A of current (that is 2.5W total) and your converter has 90% efficiency, the output power will be 2.5x0.9=2.25 watts. If the output voltage is 12V, the output current cannot be more than =2.25/12 = 0.18A

Manie Serrao

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Will build it and post the results :D