Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: 12v Charger PCB blowing fuses  (Read 7289 times)

stevepo

Re: 12v Charger PCB blowing fuses
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 12:21:30 PM »
Hi, thanks for your continued help!

This evening i will check D13,14,16 and Q2.

When you say Big white thing on the left, do you mean on the first picture, inbetween the + and - terms? that says LL GET on it. i think its a fuse? maybe thermal reset? what do you think?
i will take a closeup of it, if thats the component you are talking about.

thanks.

oh, also i did actually test D13,14,16 quickly last night, but these were whilst in the board, so my values may be off. it was strange, because they looked the same, 2 of them gave a reading of around 200, and one of them said 600... but maybe that was because its still in hte board, maybe getting a iffy value from somewhere, so ill try them out the board later.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:28:49 PM by stevepo »

cheerio

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 20:04:40 PM »
On board checks are ok for quick checking. I usually look for high impedance or shorts while on board checking. if a component has a weird value i definitely check it off board.
Yes i was talking about the component between + and -.

The worst case would actually be if the IC is dead. So cross fingers ;)

Yet the best method to debug this circuit would still be if you make a schematic with all the components. Then you could isolate the parts of the circuit where the problem has to be.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 20:19:52 PM by cheerio »

stevepo

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 22:38:05 PM »
ill check those components shorly, i dont really have the skills to make a full schematic 2bh

stevepo

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 00:03:27 AM »
cheerio, its strange, D13,D14, and D16 all look like the same component close up, the same colour banding. however i have just taken D16 off the board, and its giving 600 instead of the other two that are 300, is that suspect?

stevepo

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 00:26:45 AM »
please see previous post, but also, im struggling to test this transistor, its that small that i cant read the text, and i dont have a magnifyer! i will pick one up tomorrow lol.

yea basically i dont know what the base, collector and emmiter pins are. :/ unable to read the info on the transistor. its so small.

:)

cheerio

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 00:34:27 AM »
well if the diodes are not high impedance or short they are not a big problem in most cases.
The transistor is probably a pinout like this: http://www.rectron.com/data_sheets/c1815.pdf

where are you from steve?

stevepo

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 01:42:08 AM »
uk derbyshire.

if that diagram is correct for what i have, i seem to have a reading between the collector and emitter but onl in one direction?

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 07:19:22 AM »
i seem to have a reading between the collector and emitter but onl in one direction?
It is better to test a transistor live, with frequency close to the working frequency

cheerio

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 17:04:54 PM »
Well if the reading is between collector and emitter but not vice versa you probably got a pnp. but kam is right.
I am from Germany. If you want you can send me one of your dead devices and i have a look. shipping is pretty cheap between uk and ger.

stevepo

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 15:43:02 PM »
hello, i will have to get permission for this from work, what cost? other than shipping, of course which we would arrange (subject to me getting approval)

cheerio

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 16:43:33 PM »
just shipping. if you want you can donate a few bucks to this website ;)

stevepo

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 17:19:24 PM »
i think if we can get shipping at good rates we can do this :) can you message me details so i can get a shipping quote? :)