Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Counter Circuit and PIC Programming  (Read 2133 times)

RD707a

Counter Circuit and PIC Programming
« on: October 30, 2012, 05:44:43 AM »
Hello all... I'm trying to build a counter circuit that will basically count from 0 to 255 and simultaneously display the numbers in three different formats as it counts up: binary (0000000 through 11111111), decimal (0 through 255), and hexadecimal (00 through FF). For the binary representation, I want to use 8 standard LEDs. For the decimal representation, I want to use a 3-digit seven segment display. For the hexadecimal representation, I want to use a 2-digit seven segment display.

After having built up just the binary counter portion of the circuit using a 555 timer with two cascaded 74LS193 ICs, I've acknowledged that it would be far easier to just program a microchip to do everything I need rather than interconnecting an insane amount of components to accomplish the same thing. So for the sake of learning, I've gone out and invested in a PIC Programmer and a couple of Microchip 16F88 ICs to help me accomplish the task of building this counter. Can somebody recommend any good books or online resources that would help me get started down this road?

Any help/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

kam

• Administrator
Re: Counter Circuit and PIC Programming
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 15:16:17 PM »
In Greece we call this "to bless our beards", maybe it does not make any sense in other languages...

http://www.pcbheaven.com/picpages/

It is a good start PLUS it has all examples with the 16F88