Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Bulb for PCB exposure  (Read 2073 times)

ltodd2

Bulb for PCB exposure
« on: November 13, 2012, 15:21:32 PM »
Hello all.
Im new to this forum so may have posted this in the wrong place.
Im wanting to design and etch my own PCB's and have been given a metal halide lamp.  Do these give out enough UV to expose the pcb?

Many thanks

Lee

kam

• Administrator
Re: Bulb for PCB exposure
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 15:37:33 PM »
Hello lee,
i used to use such a lamp years ago, i had one 150 Watts. It was actually more than enough! The exposure took some 2 minutes from about 30cm distance.

ltodd2

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 19:41:15 PM »
Kam

What type/make of bulb did you have?  Im only asking as I spoke to the manufacture of the bulb and they said the output of UV was about 4% which made me think is this going to work.

thanks
Lee

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:19:10 AM »
Almost impossible to find this lamp again. If you have this lamp then go for the test, if you don't just get a UV lamp instead.

ltodd2

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 14:30:14 PM »
Thats one thing im not sure on.  There are a few types of UV tubes that I have seen ie blacklights, fish tanks, sun tan etc.  what kind do I need?

Lee

cheerio

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 20:26:12 PM »
i use 4 uv tubes salvaged from a sun tan device. i put them in an old scanner case.

_pike

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 08:35:42 AM »
You can also use uv power leds have a look on ebay you can find douzens......

edit:   
My exposure box has one of it too....But these lamps are obsolete comparing to leds...They consume much power (mine is ~1000w) and i have been told that thay produce radiation...(don't know if thats true.)If you need info for the box i will post a schamatic of my box.But my opinion is to use leds....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:43:08 AM by _pike »

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 23:44:01 PM »
... which now reminds me that i have some new UV LEDs to test... and still have not.... hmmmm....