Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: MAFC  (Read 3081 times)

cheerio

MAFC
« on: December 10, 2012, 19:02:59 PM »
http://www.magpowersystems.com/images/File/PDF/mafc-technology.pdf
has anyone tried to build smth like this? I made a quick test and got 1V and 0.5mA.
The company is talking about Hydrogen Inhibitors. Does anyone have an idea what they use to reduce the hydrogen? I had a different approach in mind. If i don't reduce the hydrogen i can compensate the lesser performance by adding a second stage (hydrogen/oxygen fuelcell) that burns the byproduct hydrogen from the first stage(MAFC). Any ideas?

kam

• Administrator
Re: MAFC
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 20:55:20 PM »
wow! this thing really works???  8)

cheerio

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 21:39:58 PM »
yes it works. The magnesium anode and the water has to be replaced as it is consumed. I will check out if producing electricity with this technology is cheap enough to lower my bill ;) But i need materials first and i want to know how they reduce the hydrogen...

cheerio

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 19:41:24 PM »
maybe i can reduce the hydrogen when i put more oxygen in the water. So that hydrogen can form water with those oxygen atoms. this is impossible to measure for me because i do not have the instruments i need :(

cheerio

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 16:28:50 PM »
got no budget for this month left ;)
i will continue experiments next month

cheerio

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 16:43:11 PM »
i found this document: http://www.borderlands.de/net_pdf/NET0711S29-31.pdf
I will try a combination of mg anode and graphite cathode. Electrolyte will be salt water. I will measure the W/g and try Aluminum for the anode after that.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 23:03:06 PM »
And why reduce the hydrogene when you can use it?

cheerio

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 17:34:17 PM »
because it reduces the efficiency of the mafc. And therefore reduces the kwh/kg magnesium significantly. Actually i do not think that the mafc is a good price/kwh technology. I think i will use it as a backup generator. After experimenting with the mafc i will aim for a PEM fusion cell and a Reformer to use  natural gas to produce electricity(pricy components but very interesting!). This should be much more price efficient than the mafc.
On the other hand is the mafc nice for a mobile generator if you do not need a huge amount of current.