Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: R2D2, Xboxes and lights! Help needed  (Read 1784 times)

Sparkster

R2D2, Xboxes and lights! Help needed
« on: March 06, 2013, 13:51:36 PM »
Hi

I am building an R2D2 unit to house an Xbox.

I have solved most of my issues except that I wanted to have the lights (R2D2's) come on when the Xbox is turned on. So, I bought some USB lights.

BUT - The xbox USBs stay live even when the unit is in standby.

So I need another method but want to avoid having to many cables coming out of the back.

I considered using the fact that the xbox has lights which come on when it is powered and using them to trigger a relay/switch in line with the usb lights. But I have only found circuits for 12v and which switch on when dark. I need the other way around.

So - Does anyone have any bright ideas how I can do this? I am open to virtualy and suggestions, light activated or not!

Cheers
Sparkster

kam

• Administrator
Re: R2D2, Xboxes and lights! Help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 17:48:06 PM »
The simplest way is to use a light-activated relay - Get an LDR and stick it in front of the Xbox's ON light. The LDR with a transistor will activate a relay. Here is a circuit:

http://www.pcbheaven.com/circuitpages/Light_Dark_Activated_Relay/

The first circuit is enough for your application.

Sparkster

Re: R2D2, Xboxes and lights! Help needed
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 22:14:43 PM »
Perfect!