Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: vcr power lag  (Read 2955 times)

ketske

vcr power lag
« on: March 26, 2013, 18:43:54 PM »
Hello guys!

Im back again after a few pulse control projects with 555's.

I got an recorder from a friend and .
He hasn't used this about three years, now he doesn't start up from the first time.
When i stick it up to the current a couple of times , then it would start up finally.
I noticed that when i stick it up to the contact something is buzzing like a  baloon , really high pitch sound but really soft  and short.
I noticed that this would came from the spool/transfo or the transfer resistor.
And everything is fine when he starts the way it must be .
So actually i think its the transistor. That the contact between base and emitting/collecting is not functioning properly.

Well, its maybe a shame that didn't already checked the current there, because its not connected with lines like a print, but with sorta tin wires.
I checked the capacitors , all good.
But its really in the spot of the power supply, the fuse is fine , some black on a resistor and a ceramic cap, but its fine !

Annyone some expirience with these sympthoms?

Thanks!

kam

• Administrator
Re: vcr power lag
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »
I had once this problem with a cassette player. It was not used for long long long time.  When i plugged it in, i had this weird oscillation at the output. Only after i replaced all electrolytic capacitors did it worked. As a matter of fact, replacing the aluminum capacitors is a good practice for old electronics. These are the parts that wear out first.

cheerio

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 19:31:12 PM »
i can back kam here. replace the eletrolytic caps. they dry out over time and really old hardware is way over the planned life time.

ketske

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 15:29:18 PM »
i can back kam here. replace the eletrolytic caps. they dry out over time and really old hardware is way over the planned life time.

Sorry for the late post .
But thanks guys!

Actually  weird but right , after some couple times i swapped it into the contact it works fully again !  :o

So i think its was actually the ... wearing of the vcr.
actually in principal just like u guys said , time for some new components .
But however if it gives his soul i think its time for a combi !  :)

this can be closed!

Sir N

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 05:49:01 AM »
Hi,

Actually  weird but right , after some couple times i swapped it into the contact it works fully again !  :o
You "massaged" the electrolytic caps a bit, so now they somewhat work, but this is usually not a lasting cure unfortunately - for a quick(ish) check, remove the mains for 2..3 days and reconnect to see if it returns.

Fastest solution would be to check all electrolytes with an ESR meter, but it's not a gizmo found in every electronicus' tool set.

Hope for the best, but don't be too surpriced if the problem reappears.