Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Need help with Led light project  (Read 6939 times)

diyguy

Need help with Led light project
« on: June 15, 2013, 17:18:54 PM »
Hi ever one im new to led lighting and and this forum, i Need help with Led light project . 
My grama and spelling is not the best sorry in advance .

What i have and what i need to do?

Im looking at making  drivers to drive groups of 4x10w red 660nm with 3x3w blue 460nm  witch should give me 4:1 good for growing ,
i need a parts list and a how to help so i can do this at the cheapest price possible.

and make driver for 15x3w=45w red 660nm with 3x3w=9w blue 460nm.

I also wd like to make some 50w 37v 1500ma led drivers as well.

if any one out there knows how to do this and make the parts list for me, it wd help me out heaps theirs only so much YouTube one can watch theirs way to much shit on there.
Iv blown up about 5 leds so far listening to ppl that really don't know or don't do things properly them self's.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Product Specifications:
Forward Voltage:7V~9V
amp:1000ma
Brand new and high quality
Emitted colour: 600nm red.
Power: 10W.
Life: <50,000 hours.
View angle: 180 degree
Operating temperature: -20 degrees - 70 degrees.
Lumen:300-320

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
Specifications:

Emitting Colour: Royal Blue   
Reverse Voltage: 5.0 V   
DC Forward Voltage: Typical: 3.4V Max: 3.8 V   
DC Forward Current: 700mA   
Luminous Intensity: 30-40lm   
Wave Length: 455-460nm   
Viewing Angle: 120 - 140 Degree   
Lead Soldering Temp:260oC for 5 seconds   
Intensely Bright   

Product Specifications:

Descriptions: 3w
Lens Colour :Water Clear
Emitted colour: 600nm red.
Viewing Angle:120°
Forward Voltage :2.0-2.2v
Forward Current:700mA

Cheers DiyGuy

kam

• Administrator
Re: Need help with Led light project
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:05:17 AM »
So, you definitely want to make a buck regulator fro DC supply (say 40VDC) to maintain a constant current. I've tested this one and works fine for me:

High Efficiency High Current LED Buck Driver using the A6210

The problem is that it comes only in qfn package which is hard to solder.

cheerio

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »
are you sure you want to use leds for growing plants? you know leds have a fixed wavelength and plants want to have a wide wavelangth band... thought about this myself but ditched it because of the thin wavelength band. do you have any experience how the plants react to this?

and also you should know that plants like a blue light for the vegetative phase and the yellow light for the flowering phase. I thought about combining many LEDS with a slightly shifted Wavelength to fit the light that the plants like but this would have been to expensive.

diyguy

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »
So, you definitely want to make a buck regulator fro DC supply (say 40VDC) to maintain a constant current. I've tested this one and works fine for me:

High Efficiency High Current LED Buck Driver using the A6210

The problem is that it comes only in qfn package which is hard to solder.

Hi and thanks for the reply yes iv seen this setup but the parts are to hard to solder is there a different approach ?

cheers diyguy

diyguy

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »
are you sure you want to use leds for growing plants? you know leds have a fixed wavelength and plants want to have a wide wavelangth band... thought about this myself but ditched it because of the thin wavelength band. do you have any experience how the plants react to this?

and also you should know that plants like a blue light for the vegetative phase and the yellow light for the flowering phase. I thought about combining many LEDS with a slightly shifted Wavelength to fit the light that the plants like but this would have been to expensive.

Hi and thanks for your reply , iv studded as much as i can and the 4:1 red blue is best have a look on here .

http://www.stealthgrow.com/facts.htm

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 17:47:18 PM »
You definitely need a constant current driver to get the most out of the LEDs, and since the power rating is high you should prefer a switching mode supply. You can search other chip than the A6210 with DIP package.

diyguy

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 03:49:40 AM »
Hi how about this one ? LM3406HV

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 09:59:48 AM »
75V 1.5A seems perfect. 8)

diyguy

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 16:32:50 PM »
i Have a new Q i just got $500 of thees chip and it runs at 26v frwd current 1.74a now my Q is look at this driver in link is it ezy to change it  from 2300ma to 1750ma with out

moving volts keep 26v ??????

link to my new chips

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/241459688.html

Link to the driver i wont to use

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10pcs-50W-LED-Driver-Circuit-Output-22-26V-2300mA-use-for-led-floodlight-/330908148863?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item4d0ba9a47f

cheerio

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 00:16:32 AM »
sorry to bug you again. you get <85lm/w with leds. they are very expensive.
you get ~150lm/w with a sodium vapor lamp. it is expensive, but much less expensive than the leds.

the led you linked does 50W and has 75lm/w. this is like a sodium vapor lamp with 20-30W and those are usually sold as 150W and up. I used a 400W sodium vapor lamp once and had good results.
i get a sodium vapor lamp with 400W for ~25€ (phillips brand). you need a Electrical ballast to drive it. you can get this for 50-150€. Now you need a reflector which is 50-100€.
so if you go for a good quality and not so high losses on the e. ballast you get the thing up for (25+150+100) 275€. Now you need to change the lamp every year but it is cheap.
this will give you ~60000lm... good luck getting this with leds and not going broke ^^
sodium vapor lamps are still the best if it comes to lm/w...

why do you want to use leds? i do not want to mess with your project, i just don't understand why you go this way. It is so expensive with leds and the result is not as good as with sodium vapors
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 00:19:56 AM by cheerio »

cheerio

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 00:34:21 AM »
the driver does adjust the current by checking the voltage drop via a shunt i guess. so all you have to do is measure the shunt (precise) and replace it with another shut (higher resistance)
old shunt: xVolt @ 2300ma
new shunt: xVolt @1750ma

diyguy

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 09:33:52 AM »
the driver does adjust the current by checking the voltage drop via a shunt i guess. so all you have to do is measure the shunt (precise) and replace it with another shut (higher resistance)
old shunt: xVolt @ 2300ma
new shunt: xVolt @1750ma

Hi cheerio thanks for your reply the leds im using are 7band leds and thees are new to the market and have been fully customized for growing and the power is much cheaper than the ones you are using and much more spectrum gets the the plant as your ones lose so much in heat , but every one has there own ways and ppl where put off as most tried leds for growing when the first came out and they were shit i no this but now they are the ducks nuts.

what is a shunt ?

ow yes one more thing heat is a big thing for me were i live planes always going over my place looking for you no what :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:36:12 AM by diyguy »

diyguy

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »
i just had a look for a 1.75 shunt but did no good 10a is the lowest one i could find.

cheerio

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 21:37:49 PM »
you can calculate a shunt that consists of a standard AWG size wire.

the planes can be fooled by those emergency Space blankets. They are cheap and isolate pretty good. but anyway you calculate the shunt by Voltage = Resistance * Current
If you use a copper wire AWG24 for example you get a Voltage of 1.47mV over 1cm @1.7A
you can find the resitance values of those cables on the net. If you use android you can use the awesome application ElectroDroid to calculate this stuff. Just look for the Voltage Drop calculator int he app.

diyguy

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 13:38:55 PM »
Thanks cheerio.  8)