Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: LED lamp 230(dim-able) on expensive lamp statue incl. dimmer.  (Read 4734 times)

ketske

Hello guys! ::)

My family has an expensive stand lamp .
And they buyed a phillips 230v 12w  led lamp with dimmable function.

So with this standing lamp is an dimmer included minimum load 100w and the max 500w.

Whenever off or in full load the dimmer works perfect.
But in half load or a kwart load its zooms.
And i know for SURE that it is the dimmer.
Theres no TRANSFO.

Can i actually set a cap paralel over the psu so i can push down the frequency of the current ?
I actually don't know if this is a glow/hallogen dimmer but i think it is , because of the minimum/high load .

Or just get a led dimmer ?
(but if my family wants this thats another question  :P)

(sorry for my simple bad english as well!)

Thanks guys!
Im here to learn so!
Shoot the knowledge! :o ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 16:00:05 PM by ketske »

kam

• Administrator
Re: LED lamp 230(dim-able) on expensive lamp statue incl. dimmer.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:35:24 AM »
TRIAC in dimmers have this parameter called "Latching current" or "Holding current" IL. Cheap dimmers have cheap triacs with high latching current, some as high as 100mA. This parameter is the current needed to be drawn by the load in order for the dimmer to conduct, otherwise the dimmer may not work properly.

Here is a simple test: Connect the LED lamp and a normal incandescent lamp in parallel. This incandescent lamp will simply increase the current. If the dimmer works, then you need to replace the TRIAC. Chop it open and get the part number. Then find one dimmer with lower holding current but same or lower gate trigger current.

Sir N

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 05:38:23 AM »
Hi,

Whenever off or in full load the dimmer works perfect.
Ehhh, no it don't, it's totally not dimming a bit in those situations ;D

But in half load or a kwart load its zooms.
And i know for SURE that it is the dimmer.
Theres no TRANSFO.
Sounds like it needs some phase compensation (not a topic for an amateur I'm afraid).

Can i actually set a cap paralel over the psu so i can push down the frequency of the current ?
No and you should probably keep your fingers out of harms way, or at least remember the golden rule of having one hand in the pocket, when working on mains voltage (not kidding)!
Besides, how would you alter the frequency set by the generators at the power plant?

I think you are making vague hints to lead/lag compensation rather than frequency?

I actually don't know if this is a glow/hallogen dimmer but i think it is , because of the minimum/high load .
Can you post the make and model of the lamp (even better a link to some specs on it)?
Perhaps talk to whoever sold the lamp.

Or just get a led dimmer ?
I'm not aware of any LED dimmers for mains voltages (but then, I don't keep up with all news) - first try out Kam's suggestion and post back and while you're at it... The person that sold you(r parents) this lamp might know a thing or two, so ask him/her nicely, perhaps help is close by :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:50:45 AM by Sir N »

ketske

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
TRIAC in dimmers have this parameter called "Latching current" or "Holding current" IL. Cheap dimmers have cheap triacs with high latching current, some as high as 100mA. This parameter is the current needed to be drawn by the load in order for the dimmer to conduct, otherwise the dimmer may not work properly.

Here is a simple test: Connect the LED lamp and a normal incandescent lamp in parallel. This incandescent lamp will simply increase the current. If the dimmer works, then you need to replace the TRIAC. Chop it open and get the part number. Then find one dimmer with lower holding current but same or lower gate trigger current.

Thanks alot kam!(again  ::) :) )

So the dimmer works good actually and the spool is glued so, the spool couldn't zoom, and no flickering or something like that , its the sound (zooming).

http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ic-on-line.cn/view_images.php%3Fid%3D1007050&imgrefurl=http://www.ic-on-line.cn/view_download.php?id%3D1007050%26file%3D0009%255Cbta08-600_72583.pdf&h=1012&w=720&sz=35&tbnid=CFHeoE1tIOi6dM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=64&zoom=1&usg=__pyZ6w4JQUWeTmMsyCeAIN8NjccE=&docid=mmwNmgtu4Q18lM&hl=nl&sa=X&ei=PUnNUYyfMMWrtAbbz4GIDQ&ved=0CEgQ9QEwBA&dur=359

btw
The triac ,its a bta08 (600b) from ST SGT THOMSON
Oh ! and the triac is attached with his metal element to the housing of the dimmer , for heatspreading.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:30:02 AM by ketske »