Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Getting started on my first project  (Read 1917 times)

v8n3t

• Cadet
Getting started on my first project
« on: January 02, 2014, 06:58:31 AM »
Hello everyone,
I wanted to first start by mentioning that I have zero experience working with anything related to Electrical Engineering.

My main goal is to:
1.)   Learn how to design Circuits on a PCB
2.)   Learn how to upload the Assembly code to a Microcontroller
3.)   Learn how to put it all together

With my goals mentioned, I have no real clue where to start. The first project I want to do will be to re-produce the single-click / double-click functionality with only 2 LED?s. I am a Software Developer full time, so I am not concerned with picking up Assembly. If you are wondering why I want to learn about PCB design and the Electrical Engineer aspect of this, well it?s because I am simply a nerd who enjoys learning.

It would also be nice if anyone could include sources for where to purchase empty/template PCB?s which are designed to experiment with for learning purposes.

Any input on my starting point would be much appreciated. 

_pike

• Administrator
Re: Getting started on my first project
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:52:08 AM »
Hello v8n3t and welcome to the forum.....

Well for designing PCB's you will need a programm like eagle.(I use 5.11v)
There are some more but the most widely spreaded is eagle.It has libraries with components and you can also create one if a component is not listed.

For programming a microcontroller( if you are planning to play with microchip which has the PIC mcu) you can find a good tutorial written by Kam here --> http://www.pcbheaven.com/picpages/
There are AVR's Cyrix etc....You will also need a programmmer which can upload the hex file to the mcu. For you as a software developer i would recommend you to programm into C because there are libraries written by the manufacturing companies that make your life easier on "HEAVY" programmibg such as usb,ethernet,sd interface......

"Learn how to put it all together" Don't rush it will take you time.
You are new to that,and in my country we say a motto "Every beginning to a starting new is difficult...."

We are here for further helping Regards Panagiotis
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:54:00 AM by _pike »

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 17:13:51 PM »
Hello v8n3t. You can start like most of us did: Copy other circuits and start building them. Maybe you wanna start prototyping on breadboards. Like pike said before, it will take time before you can design your own circuits. You will first enjoy making some kits from companies with all the parts and the PCB in a bag.
Then you can continue by changing circuits, learn how transistors work - this is essential. Go ahead with the 74 series chips, its a good entry to digital electronics.
Then you can consider getting into microcontrollers.

IMO starting from the microcontrollers is like learning how to drive a bike by starting from the wheelie. First learn how to crawl, then walk, then run, then jump, then run and jump together, then crawl stand up walk and jump and then run and then crawl again, and then you can learn how to fly... This is the fastest way.

Automan

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 22:22:38 PM »
Kam :

"Jarvis Sometimes you gotta run before you can walk" ;)

Automan

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 22:32:50 PM »
Good Job with the Site Keep it up  8)