Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Cross Line Laser Level  (Read 3724 times)

phpenguin

Cross Line Laser Level
« on: September 14, 2014, 21:40:16 PM »
Hi,

I usually start building a device if an equipment or tool is outrageously expensive.

I bought a cross line 50mW, 350mA laser to build a level for construction work.
Simple test unit I built.

I learned that good battery type for high power device is 18650 rechargeable Li-Ion. 

Features I'll implement:
? power management circuit
? real case, heat sink
? built-in tripod with level adjustment screws
? bullseye level
? adding few handy features, i.e, self leveling is easy to implement.
? adding two more lasers: one for dot, the other one for straight line.

kam

• Administrator
Re: Cross Line Laser Level
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 01:48:33 AM »
Thai sounds quite interesting. I could use such a tool myself when working with power lined and air supply circuits. As a matter of fact, you just gave me a great idea.
How do you plan to have all that beam types? Each one with a different laser?

phpenguin

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 03:31:48 AM »
Hi kam,

Most sellers provide three types of laser diode: dot, line, cross line. Most sellers provide three types of laser diode: dot, line, cross line.

The laser module I bought off eBay was around $15. It has cross line laser diode and driver circuit built in. This one generates cross line using a lens in front of the laser diode, which has cross line shapes on it. Disconnecting the lens probably produce line laser beam.

One thing I learned about laser is that laser diode that consumes few hundred mA will drain AAA or AA batteries really fast. Matching the discharge current rate of battery is important.  Battery capacity is rated by mAh. But all battery has drain current (mA) rate. AAA Alkaline battery usually has 1000 mAh which assumes the drain current of device is 10 mA.

I expected to have at least one hour of operation using two AAA batteries when I test the device. The laser module ate up two AAA batteries 
within 10 to 15 minutes. It was draining current of AAA battery at least twenty times faster.

I'll use 18650 Lithium battery if I would use the laser module I have.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 08:00:46 AM »
how about rechargeable Nimh with 2000+ mAh? I mean, what is the typical capacity of a 18650 compared to a nimh? A nimh is a more safe selection, isn't it?

and about the diode, can you pwm at 50% to reduce the consumption? will it work?