Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Use a brushless PC fan to make an Electomagnetic Field with no moving parts  (Read 2543 times)

DoubleD

Is it possible to make an electromagnetic field using just the bottom end of a PC brushless fan motor?

I took the Fan blades (with permanent magnet) off of a 12V  brushless motor. Using an EMF detector I applied 9V to the the bottom end of the motor (Stator and controller only)  and I got a quick short burst of EMF.

I know nothing about electronics but the electromagnetic field was not sustained. I assume it was because the rotor was missing the rotor and there was nothing to trigger the hall effect sensor to kick the other coils.  ( I read a little about brushless motors http://pcbheaven.com/wikipages/How_Brushless_Motors_Work/). I noticed that if I pulsed the power then EMF was sustained.  I also assume that only one (maybe two) of the 4 coils were actually being used generate the EMF.

Is it possible to bypass the hall effect and make this stator produce EMF, powering up the coils in a continuous circular round robin rotation?

Any direction is appreciated.

kam

• Administrator
Hello. Yes you can indeed make an electromagnet a small one. Just ripp off the pcb completely. Then you have 4 electroagnets each one with 2 wires. Chances are that they are connected in series in pairs o 2 opposite ones. Find which 2 wires are comming from one electromagnet (or one pair) and apply power. You will have an emf as long as you apply power.

DoubleD

I thought about that too. The wires are so thin I'm sure I'd mess it up that is if I could see the ends :)

Correct me if I am wrong but this approach would only power up two of the four electromagnets.

I was hoping to alternate between the magnets using the hall effect sensor but not the rotor magnet

kam

• Administrator
what exactly you want to do? make a rotating electromagnetic field? If yes, then you definitely need to make a controller yourself. And most likely it has to be a SIN wave controller to have a smooth EMF rotation, exactly as it happens in 3-phase motors.

DoubleD

Yes  make a rotating electromagnetic field and if I could speed it up or slow it down that be a plus

I guess its much more involved than I thought - I guess I'll stick to keeping the rotor and I'll snap off the fan fins

kam

• Administrator
Yes it is harder than plugging in a BLDC. Even if it works, that would not be a rotating field, instead a 4-phase pulsing one.
3-phase motors generate a smooth rotating field.

DoubleD

Maybe I'll try this http://homemadecircuitsandschematics.blogspot.com/2012/05/make-this-emf-pump-circuit-and-go-ghost.html

I'm just not sure of all the wiring or how to make the coils - I guess I could try to use the coils from the fan since they look to be the same