Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Building LED flashlight, need proper circuit  (Read 3409 times)

Jamiesan

• I'm building a flashlight... feel free to email me
Building LED flashlight, need proper circuit
« on: October 20, 2014, 00:11:22 AM »
I like the battery boost circuit here on this website using the MCP1640 chip; that's pretty much what I want, but I'm not sure if it would work for my flashlight idea.

Here is the specs for what I want to do:

4 - AAA batteries

4 - 10mm 1W LEDs, DC Forward Current: 300mA, DC Forward Voltage: Typical: 3.4  V  Max: 3.6 V, 40-45 degree viewing angle.

I'm pretty good at building things, but electronic theory just goes way over my head... Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I've included a photo showing how I want to put this together.  I want this flashlight to be flat and lay flat, not cylindrical like most flashlights, yet run on 4 common AAA batteries.  It will be about the size of a credit card, about 1/2 inch thick and made of aluminum bar.

How should I build the driver circuit?

THANKYOU,  -Jamie

kam

• Administrator
Re: Building LED flashlight, need proper circuit
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 20:58:37 PM »
Hello Jamie,

actually the MCP1640 will not fit your needs. What you need is a step-up constant current driver. Maybe the LT1618 will do...

Jamiesan

• I'm building a flashlight... feel free to email me
Re: Building LED flashlight, need proper circuit
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 14:25:08 PM »
 Thank you for the quick response, I've been working my day job and very busy, I will check out that chip you recommended and get back with you shortly.

Thanks again,

Jamie