Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: How often you use oscilloscope?  (Read 6535 times)

phpenguin

How often you use oscilloscope?
« on: January 21, 2015, 04:50:38 AM »

I'm planning to buy a used oscilloscope under $200 soon.
I'm debating whether to have a handheld scope or not-too-old benchtop one.
I think I will use scope mostly to test or troubleshoot motor drivers or components that are related to 3D Printer.

Thanks in advance.

cheerio

Re: How often you use oscilloscope?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 01:20:51 AM »
got the ds1000E
it is a decent scope for beginners. I use it a lot when i debug stuff

Handheld -> expensive or crap

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 16:24:56 PM »
Ok, here is the deal.
Fact: An oscilloscope is the most important instrument after the multimeter
Fact: A rarely finish successfully a new design without using the oscilloscope extensively
Fact: PC oscilloscopes are crap
Fact: Chances are that your first oscilloscope will suffer from your trials and errors

What you wanna buy is a used benchtop Rigol (or better a new one) like the one cheerio spoke about. 50MHz is ok for beginner. Choose 4 channels. It is a good start since you are not into consumer electronics design and you do not have like 10.000 to spend.

Up until today, my 200MHz 4ch humble wellec served me well in both my designs and during cnc troubleshooting. But now that I design circuits for consumer products i can definitely tell that i have to spend at least 3000 for a descent 100MHz oscilloscope.

cheerio

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 20:10:28 PM »
if you got a low firmware ds1000E you can flash a 100MHz firmware. I did it and it worked like a charm (it was software trimmed to 50MHz. Hardware is the same)

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 21:36:56 PM »
if you got a low firmware ds1000E you can flash a 100MHz firmware. I did it and it worked like a charm (it was software trimmed to 50MHz. Hardware is the same)
8) 8) 8)

phpenguin

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 04:34:49 AM »
What you wanna buy is a used benchtop Rigol (or better a new one) like the one cheerio spoke about. 50MHz is ok for beginner. Choose 4 channels. It is a good start since you are not into consumer electronics design and you do not have like 10.000 to spend.
I couldn't find a 50Mhz used Rigol for two months. And I ended up buying a used Tektronix TDS310 lately for $170.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 23:40:07 PM »
That's a bargain mate!!!  8) 8) 8) Those Tektronix are freaking awesome! You will definitely enjoy using it.

phpenguin

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 15:42:36 PM »
@kam

Tektronix
"Committed to Excellence"

TDS 310 Digitizing Oscilloscope (FV:v2.02)

(c) Copyright, Tektronix, Inc., 1993.
All rights reserved.

Power-On self check PASSED

Push CLEAR MENU to proceed.
It was Made in USA.

The seller didn't include probes. I'll have to buy aftermarket or used probes that matches with this scope.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 22:01:39 PM »
you will enjoy this tool. If you ever work on a cheap crappy scope (like the pc scopes) then you will see the inner beauty of the tek!