Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Questions about the stepper motor used in the SMD Reflow NC Machine...  (Read 2981 times)

Spork Schivago

Hi!   I was reading the article about making an SMD reflow NC machine located here:  http://www.pcbheaven.com/userpages/smd_reflow_hot_air_gun_nc/index.php?topic=worklog&p=0

I had some questions.   What stepper motor was used and what driver board is used to control it?  I couldn't find the info anywhere.   I'd like to make something like this but have it computer controlled, with a camera, one of these days.   Thanks!

kam

• Administrator
Re: Questions about the stepper motor used in the SMD Reflow NC Machine...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 19:05:49 PM »
as a matter of fact, i have not finished writing the article yet. I used a PIC16f1939 for the controller programmed in C. The motor is a 2.5V stepper.

Spork Schivago

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 21:12:24 PM »
Wow, you're the one who was writing the article?   That's amazing!   Hi!    So I know C (well, maybe I used to know C is a better way of saying it!)   I used to a be a system programmer for a corporation back in 05.   I've played with some simple programs here and there since then.    Anyway, do you have any articles that explain how to use PICs?   I'm still very new to circuit design.   I've done some reading, a decent amount, to learn the basics about electricity and stuff.   Just need to start reading up on how to actually start building circuits.   

Would any 2.5v stepper work?   Or should I be looking for a certain brand?   I see a lot of talk about these steppers called Nema's (I think that's the brand name at least, maybe it's just a style).

Thanks for all the help.

Ken

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 20:08:54 PM »
Yep I'm the man :D

Well, actually any stepper will do, with higher voltage as well. It all depends on the driving transistors.
I began writing (here) how to use PIC with assembly. I plan to re-write and make a book out of it. Unfortunately, I began working as a CNC technician and i experienced a sudden and unexpected boom in my job, which kept me totally away from the site for about 2 years. I literally had no time to reply to comments. I am not quite sure when I will be able to start posting new articles. I have like 4 new projects but no time to write the worklog.

Spork Schivago

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 20:36:00 PM »
Thank you!   Reading up on that now.  Thinking of putting off the PIC stuff for a bit and building one of those UV boxes first.   Right now, for circuit boards, I use a permanent marker to draw the traces and then put it in etching solution.   It sucks.   I've always wanted to try the photographic method, just never found the time or a good tutorial.   I have the time now!   I think I should start there first.   Thanks for all the help!

Spork

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 20:41:00 PM »
Wow! I'm just building a brand new if box with ridiculous output power and smps constant current driver. It will be ready within 2 months or so. I'm leaving for a journey for 3 weeks for work.