Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Questions about the PCB Photographic Method  (Read 4766 times)

Spork Schivago

Questions about the PCB Photographic Method
« on: August 05, 2015, 03:40:34 AM »
Hi!   I was reading your page on how you built a UV exposure box and realized that this is probably the best way to get traces onto a PCB.   I was following your work log and I found the Eagle files for the schematics and board layouts for various parts, but I didn't see how you did the UV LED modules.   I seen you said you used 70 LEDs per module.   Do you have any schematics for that?   Where do I purchase these UV LEDs?   How do I build the modules?

Also, I wanted to thank you for being nice enough to share your work with others!  You have some really really nifty projects here!  I really appreciate everything!

Spork Schivago

Spork Schivago

Re: Questions about the PCB Photographic Method
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 02:18:41 AM »
I guess the main problem I'm going to have with the UV LEDs is making the template.  I don't really have anyway to drill holes that precise.  Is there any chance that you sell the templates or maybe even the UV LED modules pre-assembled?   Maybe the piece with the holes drilled where I just have to add the UV LEDs and solder them plus solder the resistors?   How much would it cost to have you drill the wholes for me?   Thanks.

Spork Schivago

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 02:41:45 AM »
I found some UV LEDs that I think might work.   Would these be okay?

F5 5mm Round Ultra Violet LED UV Light 365nm Purple Lamp

Specifications:

Emitting Colour: Ultra Violet
    Wave Length: 360-365nm
    Lens Type: Water Clear
    Reverse Voltage: 5.0 V
    DC Forward Voltage: Typical: 3.6V Max: 4.0 V
    DC Forward Current: 20mA
    Viewing Angle: 20?
    Lead Soldering Temp: 260?C for 5 seconds
    Intensely Bright

100 of them is around 49.50$ + 1.99$ shipping.   I can only order in multiplies of 10, 100 or 1000's.  I'm okay with ordering 200 of these if I can make sure I can get them lined up just right.   I'm a little worried about the sand blasted arcylic glass as well.   Not sure how I'm going to get that taken care of.  We do have a sand blaster.   It's just the arcylic glass I don't know where to get that at.   Thanks for all the help!   I know you don't have a lot of time.   I do appreciate everything!

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 20:43:09 PM »
Ok guys, hold your horses because I'm testing some new leds that will save the day. I need to finish the smps controller and run the proof testing. If this works it will be awesome.

Spork Schivago

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 05:38:36 AM »
Gotcha.   Two months or so until it's finished, right?  I know you're busy and if you can't get back to me right away, it's okay.   Your life comes first.  You're a good man for sharing your projects and knowledge.   It'd be nice if once you have it finished, you'd sell some boards pre-etched with the LEDs / parts.  I'd be willing to pay for one of those, plus some extra for all the time you put into it.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 00:21:11 AM »
I just returned from azores and travel to bulgary for another installation. during the travel time i keep on designing the new box. If it works, it will be cool! It can handle a huge load of LED power with switching supply. I finished designing the SMPS driver thus far. It will be a separate module. As a matter of fact the whole design will be modular:

- CPU Controller
- Serial LCD module
- Serial capacitance buttons module
- SMPS LED driver

My goal is to make them bulletproof and become the first items in my shop. I will of course provide full documentations for those who want to make them, and also the ability to buy them.

Just stay tuned because time is a factor that i still cannot control

Spork Schivago

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 01:33:40 AM »
Wow, that sounds great!   Take your time!   I found another site that sells a UV kit.   I've purchased the circuit boards from them for a timer.   They're ordering more UV LEDs, 160 degree viewing angle, when they get them, I will more than likely order them from the person to finish their box.   Hopefully, I will have it all built by the time you get your box done.   Then I will work on using my box to make the version of your box.   Your projects have opened a new door in life for me and I cannot express how much I appreciate everything you're doing.   Thank you so much.

Do you know how large the LCD will be?  Touch screen seems like a real nice way to go.   I know that is probably really complicated / expensive.   I see the Weller WX2 control station (for soldering) is touch screen.  That looks real nice.   Anyway, I can hardly wait to see what you come up with.  Thank you.

Spork Schivago

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 18:43:34 PM »
Can you give the link for this make? It's ok to post links in the forum, no problem!

The LCD will be a typical 2x16 digits.

Spork Schivago

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 05:20:01 AM »
Yup,

Here's a link to it.   It's a beautiful soldering iron.   It has dual attachments.  It's made by Weller.   I like Weller.   I also like devices that I can control via a PC.   I think that's amazing.   When I get my UV system up and running, I plan on making stuff that I can control via a PC RS-232 cable.

http://www.apexhandtools.com/weller/np_industrial.cfm

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 18:42:52 PM »
I mean the UV kit link...

Spork Schivago

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 23:16:10 PM »
Oh snap.   Sorry about that boss.   Let me see if I can find it.   Hold on for a second please.

http://en.elektronicastynus.be/projects/81/

Judging from the pictures, it looks like a nice little unit.   I plan on going with a different design for the box.   I don't really like the slide out type.    I'd also like to have two giant boards, instead of 6 smaller ones for each side, however, the developer of the design says he cannot get boards that size.   And even if he could, he cannot etch them.   His etching bath or something is too small.   He's extremely friendly and very helpful.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 22:52:49 PM »
Cool make!  8) 8) 8) I like the details.

Spork Schivago

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 23:54:52 PM »
Yeah, I do as well.   I also like yours.   I think they're both very nice systems.   I like the fact that his UV LEDs have a 130 degree viewing angle.   He has to order 5,000 at a time to get them though I believe.   It's extremely hard for me to find UV LEDs with such a wide viewing angle at a decent price.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 18:22:50 PM »
do you happen to have the store link for these leds???

Spork Schivago

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 05:08:33 AM »
I don't.   You can contact the author though, he might give it up.   I asked for the datasheet.   He couldn't provide one of those.   I told him I couldn't anything like that.   I was really hoping he'd tell me where he got them but I didn't straight out ask.  He didn't tell me, just said he needs to buy 5,000 minimum at a time.  He lives in the UK.   They have a 160 degree viewing angle I believe, if that helps.