Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Inverte/Converter/Drive  (Read 10717 times)

manley_V

Inverte/Converter/Drive
« on: March 02, 2008, 02:34:04 AM »
I have got a little bit confused here.

We have a motor, ac 380 3 phase, and this motor we want to control the speed and the torque. We want to make it go faster and slower. Are we gonna use an inverter, a converter or a drive?  ??? ??? ???

kostas

Re: Inverte/Converter/Drive
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 13:21:47 PM »
Your question is not well declared but i will try to answer with examples.

An inverter is a device that gets mainly dc power and inverts it to ac for supplying motors etc. This means that a sophisticated inverter may use frequency conversion to have the motor run in different speeds, and voltage conversion to have the same motor driven by different power end thus torque.

A converter (that i believe you do not need) is a device that gets a power from a source and converts it to meet the specifications needed for an electric device. A UPS is somehow a converter for the computer. Your mobile charger is a converter

A drive is an inverter/converter that drives a motor but this drive usually gets commands about the speed and the torque, from a plc or another similar device. For example, a cnc machine has a computer that generates commands for interpolation movements of it's axis. These commands are sent to the motor drives (for axis XYZ etc) and then these drives sends the appropriate voltage and frequency to the motors to move.

I think you need an inverter or a drive.

tpone

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 16:31:15 PM »
An inverter, you need an inverter.

There are inverters that can take analog inputs (like a potensiometer) and convert it to motor speed.

Actually, there are thousands of different inverters. The most hard thing is to find out which you need and not how to use it. It is really easy to program an inverter.

Prices may start from 200 euros and... have money to give!

Mosquito

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 00:45:15 AM »
inverter. Keb has some good and cheap models. And very reliable

manley_V

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 23:54:23 PM »
I thought so but i did not exactly had distinguish those things. Thanx alot people  ;D ;D

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 03:15:06 AM »
Inverters may also take AC converted to DC and then again to AC so that they have a smooth and nice sine without noise and peaks. Beckhoff and Lenze are also top brands not to mention that they have complete drive and motor solutions in their product lines, try also Toshiba and Fuji if you 're looking for something cheaper.

FelIX

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 23:10:11 PM »
spic0m there are several companies that have really good solutions. And there are also very much companies with cheap and reliable products. Why pay a so many money for a lenze? They are very expensive. Except of course if you want to make a CNC or something that will work 24/7.

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 00:13:20 AM »
You got me! I work as a technician at a cnc representative so i want things working 24/7  ;D

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 14:13:49 PM »
CNC? like SCM and stuff?

Mosquito

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 00:16:57 AM »
i know CNC but what means SCM?

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 23:02:12 PM »
g. CNC is computerized numerical control
SCM is just a brand that makes CNC and stuff

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 22:22:29 PM »
From where you know SCM?  :)

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 18:27:03 PM »
It happens to know SCM. I understand that being a cnc tecnician like you is natural to know SCM. I also know Homag!  ;D ;D ;D

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 21:18:38 PM »
Lool, it's getting more interesting!

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 22:58:17 PM »
Yep! and i also know that Homag is much much better than SCM. I think i have heard that is the best in CNC but i am not sure. You know better.  ;)