Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Solar sails!!!  (Read 4542 times)

mmr43

Solar sails!!!
« on: May 05, 2008, 22:25:54 PM »
I was watching TV these days and say a documentary on discovery channel. Scientist have develop a special material extremely light and thin. Actually, it is SO LIGHT that the sun can move it like the air moves the sails of a boat. They plan to make a huge sail with this, that is adapted to a space capsule. This capsule will travel in space using nothing but the sun like a wind!!!! Isn;t this great!

But still i cannot put it in my mind. No matter how thin is something, how come sun light move it?  ::) ??? :-[ :-\ >:( >:(

mmr43

Re: Solar sails!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 22:27:26 PM »
This could also go to news but i prefer it here as it goes together with a question... Or something.

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 21:08:53 PM »
That's very interesting, i'll dig for it.  :)

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 18:03:27 PM »
sun light is made of.... photons. Photons have a mass, tiny tiny mass, but they still have one. Sun light is emitted in small blasts. Imagine for example that you have a source of air that produces tiny blasts of air.

The thing is that light travels with the speed of... ehmmmm light. This makes those tiny photons to produce HUUUGE (for their size of course) amount of impulse and thus, move a solar sail.

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 18:24:16 PM »
Here's the link of the company working on this project, nice.

http://www.planetary.org/programs/projects/solar_sailing/

Mosquito

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 19:38:19 PM »
will we be the first pirates of the universe? with ships on sails and bronze canons?

SiEger

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:50:38 AM »
Yes maybe, but if it happens and we got outerspace for piracy, our ship may propably be hit by an invisible ultra thin overgamma ray from a giant alien spaceship that may see us over 15.000 light years away... We have no chance.

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 21:43:27 PM »
lol to much fiction!