Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Are G-Codes really nesessary?  (Read 3383 times)

router_master

Are G-Codes really nesessary?
« on: August 30, 2008, 17:12:14 PM »
Although stamatis has done a really great job with these articles, i am not sure that G-Codes are used any more today. I operate a BIMA 310V router-edge banding machine by IMA Germany. I have never seen any G code and i can tell you that you can do everything with 0% use of G-Codes. Everything is done  by the BIMA GUI named Imawop. It is very powerful. And as far as i know, every machine has a GUI program tha use no G-Codes...

spic0m

• Global Moderator
Re: Are G-Codes really nesessary?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 16:01:52 PM »
The only thing your gui and of course every other gui for cnc does is to translate the things you do in g-codes. All cnc machines (metal, wood, plastic, etc.) work with g-codes, you may not see them but they exist.  :) When you press "CNC" button on Imawop what do you thing it does?  ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 00:24:52 AM by spic0m »

stamatis

Re: Are G-Codes really nesessary?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 18:40:12 PM »
Although stamatis has done a really great job with these articles, i am not sure that G-Codes are used any more today. I operate a BIMA 310V router-edge banding machine by IMA Germany. I have never seen any G code and i can tell you that you can do everything with 0% use of G-Codes. Everything is done  by the BIMA GUI named Imawop. It is very powerful. And as far as i know, every machine has a GUI program tha use no G-Codes...

It is a matter of philosophy. You can learn how to drive a car, you can learn how to program in visual basic, you can learn how to cut a person's hair, but you will never be Ari Vatanen if you do not know how the car works, you will never become Linus Torvalds if you do not know assembly and you will never be Schwarzkopf if you do not know how hair are made of...
It has to do with the level of programming you want to go to.