Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Automatic flower watering  (Read 5756 times)

T-FOT.R

Automatic flower watering
« on: September 02, 2008, 18:20:05 PM »
I have some flowers that needs to be watered daily. The problem is that some flowers need 3 times a day watering (these are special flowers), and some others need 1. Also, some others need 2-3 times a week.
These may change according to sun. But generally they change equally. For example, cactus will need 3 times a week watering in the summer and once in the winter.

I would normally need 3 different controllers. But each one will cost more than 60-70 euros.

Does anyone else have any other idea?

serafino

Re: Automatic flower watering
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 18:45:50 PM »
This electrovalve is from washing machine , it  costs 7 Euros ( here in my country ).
You can buy the smallest PLC (for example a'XL MITSUBISHI which have 6 inputs and 4 outputs )and costs about 100 Euros .
In PLC you can use plenty of timers and you can make your job.I don't know , maybe there is cheeper way. ;)

serafino

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 18:47:13 PM »
I forgot the photo  :D :D

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 21:06:14 PM »
There are cheaper ways but i suppose this is a most reliable.

The only problem is the valve. These valves, as per maker specs, is for up to 5minutes continuous operation. If you use these kind of valves (that i would not recommend) you should consider watering not continuous. You should water for example 2 minutes, then pause 1 minute, then again 2 minutes and so on.
I recommend to use ball valves with actuators. The most expensive but reliable hard working valves, able to work full times. Solenoid valves are for automations, for instant on and off, not suitable for this kind of operation.
You should first advice the makers data sheet if you get to use solenoids.

If you know bits and bytes for micro controllers, then you may have a super duper color LCD touch screen controller for your plants ready and operating with less than 50 euros. If not, then advice serafino. PLC is by far the most reliable and suitable hit for you. He has already make a watering project with PLC. He will help you.

T-FOT.R

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 22:42:14 PM »
This electrovalve is from washing machine , it  costs 7 Euros ( here in my country ).
You can buy the smallest PLC (for example a'XL MITSUBISHI which have 6 inputs and 4 outputs )and costs about 100 Euros .
In PLC you can use plenty of timers and you can make your job.I don't know , maybe there is cheeper way. ;)

Is there any cheaper than this serafino?

And how you program this?

Thankx

serafino

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 21:30:13 PM »
don't care about the programm because it is very easy project so if you use plc you can study alone the programm,and if you need some first steps  of course i can calp you.

T-FOT.R

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 08:19:28 AM »
don't care about the programm because it is very easy project so if you use plc you can study alone the programm,and if you need some first steps  of course i can calp you.
But of course i need some first steps. Actually, what plc to get.

Is it also reliable if i make it my self with microcontroller?

Mercury

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »
But of course i need some first steps. Actually, what plc to get.

Is it also reliable if i make it my self with microcontroller?

If you make it right then yes, it will be reliable...

T-FOT.R

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 17:53:57 PM »
I am not so good to make it reliable i think. Icheck some of microcontrollers. Maybe i have to get some ready made :(

Thanks anyway