Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: What is open source?  (Read 4549 times)

the_Clog

What is open source?
« on: September 07, 2008, 10:51:03 AM »
So many things i have hear about open source. For linux i mean. Of what i understand, open source mean that if i make a program, i do not make it 'exe' like in windows (i do not know in linux the extensions). Or even if i make it exe, i will give together witht he exe the source code that i wrote the program so anyone can change it. Is this true? Do have i understand corect?

spic0m

• Global Moderator
Re: What is open source?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 12:49:07 PM »
Open source called the programs under the GNU licence http://www.gnu.org/ .
This means that everyone has access to their source code not only to read but also to modify as long as they state their modifications and of course keep it free.

the_Clog

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 13:46:56 PM »
Isn't this stupid? Because if i make a program someone can modify it? I mean, i put an effort and i happen to have program some of my secrets like for example some mathematical formulas. The others will be able to see the code? But then they will be able to steal my secrets.  :-\

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 21:02:13 PM »
I don't believe that you developed your first programs on your own or even learned how to program without examining someone else's code. The same way as many people contribute to the same cause the better the result. If not for this, Linux for example wouldn't be such a powerfull OS (did i mentioned is FREE?). Having a good program and want to make money from it, it's okay. Being a good (or even not) programer and contribute to some OS to make it better and more to your likings it's another. Never heard for the joy of giving? Scientists are stupid sharing their hard earned knowledge with the world? And mathematical formulas are no secret, maybe people don't know to use them, or worse their existence but this doesn't make them a secret, thus of course you're not programing for the NSA or the CIA  ;).

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 00:57:35 AM »
Isn't this stupid? Because if i make a program someone can modify it? I mean, i put an effort and i happen to have program some of my secrets like for example some mathematical formulas. The others will be able to see the code? But then they will be able to steal my secrets.  :-\

Can you please name one secret? Because i program 15 years now in many languadges, low and high level, OOP and scripting and i still have not even 1 secret...