Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Ball bar test  (Read 7007 times)

BigB0$$

Ball bar test
« on: September 20, 2008, 15:00:04 PM »
I have heard that some technicians for cnc uses the ball bar test to see how accurate is the cnc.

This ball bar test i have found some but no one will explain how to operate and what results may you get. Has anyone use this ball bar tester and explain me how this will measure accuracy?

spic0m

• Global Moderator
Re: Ball bar test
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 19:27:45 PM »
Ball bar test is used to collect data from axis when making circular movement and show if there is any deviation. From the graphs produced you can determine many flaws such as: servo mismatch, axis reversal spikes, lateral play, vibration and many more. It's a delicate test and requires lots of practice to ensure you can "decode" the graphs to find the problem. Below is an "official" explanation: http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/product.biblio.jsp?osti_id=6570539
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 19:29:51 PM by spic0m »

BigB0$$

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 22:41:25 PM »
I really try to understand but i do not. Is there any picture or video of this?

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 20:13:16 PM »
How ball bar looks you can see here, for a pict or video working you'll have to wait 'till i got mine ;).

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 14:53:11 PM »
where is the video?

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 17:16:15 PM »
What video, i said wait 'till i got my own.