Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Hello heaven!  (Read 12190 times)

kam

• Administrator
Re: Hello heaven!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 23:36:36 PM »
The idea is to sell. The customers that usually will install this system can afford more. Check their car. Do they drive a f1At or a suv? And why they gave 10 times the cost of the f1At to get something than in the city is practically useless? Not to save the environment. You may discuss about energy saving on a large scale company that will consume so much petrol for heating, as a house would consume in a month. It will have a meaning there.
For a mall for example it would be priority #1. It is a matter of good promotion and marketing. From my job i learned one thing: See the customer's wallet without being seen and you can sell him exactly what he CAN buy, and not only what he WANTS to buy.

The self learning module is only an example of the incredibly large range of applications. There are hundreds of applications that can be implemented with this system.

J.G

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 11:07:16 AM »
A nice trick is to compile the 'siemens system' with a Gira Server. A colour touch screen/server with incredible possibilities and a cost off about 3000. My programmer says that it's the best way to take the best out off the system.If he reply we will learn more.I gave him the link.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 14:34:17 PM »
Good thing you share the link  ;)

You mean the Gira homeserver? You will use a computer or the Info terminal touch as a front end? Because the homeserrver will require more than a touch screen. Check out this solution also as it may be easier and cheaper and for a house with up to 150-200 bus modules it is more than enough.

Do you need TCP/IP, internet, dial up, SMTP or GSM control? If not, then the gira server is not necessary... You should stick to KNX/EIB. That is my opinion.
Of course, Home server provides you also the distribution of music over KNX/EIB witht he use of the PC or a PDA. You must take this also in account. Also, i am not sure but i think that it provides some named and case scenarios but i am really not sure about this. Maybe these are also provided by the touch screen also.

This is the Gira home server photo:

And this is the touch screen i am talking about:

It comes from 4.6 cm x 3.1 cm, 356dpi to 38.3 cm x 24.6 cm, 300dpi to fit your needs.

The idea of EIB is that there is not one main PC to control clients. Actually, EIB do not call the modules as clients and servers. Instead, they are called bus-modules. This is why EIB is better than other systems so far. Every modules takes control of it self as it has a micro controller for itself! Thus, is a module fails, the rest system will go on working. You should stick with this idea for security and reliability reasons. If for example the home server fails (for many reasons like bad main power supply), then all the systems beneath it will fail. Instead, if you use different modules for each job, then only one system will fail.

And something last. Never use KNX/EIB for security. never. NEVER. It is a system designed NOT for security. There are of course modules that covers security matters but prefer separately security systems as KNX/EIB is NOT SECURE and will be hacked in no-time.

J.G

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 00:14:16 AM »
Yes this is the Gira server I mean.If the client sticks to the full project I think it will be cheaper.I will not use the system for alarm security there is no need.I will use the center installation for the system (all the output modules in one panel for each floor), this gives manual control in case off bus line fault. That's no possible when using the 562 binary outputs (separate installation).That means a lot of wiring (each load must go to the panel) and a lot of UP110b.inp. but the final cost is about the same. I have 112 bus modules at the moment and I'll use two 640mA main units.I think that there is a need to use center protection for overvoltage on the main power supply (thunders e.t.c) along with the systems one.I'm waiting for your opinion.
p.s Kam you rule!   

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 01:25:19 AM »
I think that there is a need to use center protection for overvoltage on the main power supply (thunders e.t.c) along with the systems one.I'm waiting for your opinion.
It is absolutely sure. No need to talk about it. You will use security systems.

As for the server solution, i told you my idea. The bus is designed to be controlled by several points. You could use the server as a separate control system but i really do not like the idea. I prefer more solid systems (that could be of course more expensive), more reliable and more flexible. I would never support on a touch screen to control central heating of a house IF i did not have a backup system. I would prefer a solid system to control temperature and a touch screen to monitor it and sometimes bypass the controls. Thus, if a module fails (shit happens) the system will go on working.
The home server is a nice solution as a bypass secondary control. And only if i wanted my house to be controlled by remote.

Why not upload some plans and some more info of the house? We could discuss it better. I do not really know what your project is.

J.G

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 22:06:33 PM »
I would like to post some plans but the problem is that I made them by hand (I don't know autocad) and they are still big sized-impossible for me to scan them.

Supernova

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 23:10:14 PM »
Hey JG! Scan them in 4 parts and merge them to one and make them small again. You know how to use any program like photoshop or something similar?

J.G

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 21:31:37 PM »
If I post them in A4 size it will be impossible for you to read them.But don't worry,if I finally get the job, I'll make the drawings in electronic form.Thats the problem with instabus, you have to design the project 100%, to make a decent economic offer.

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 21:38:28 PM »
That's the problem with everything.  ;D

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 23:21:51 PM »
If I post them in A4 size it will be impossible for you to read them.But don't worry,if I finally get the job, I'll make the drawings in electronic form.Thats the problem with instabus, you have to design the project 100%, to make a decent economic offer.

This is not a problem. This is the proper way for doing things...