Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Leveling  (Read 4516 times)

spic0m

• Global Moderator
Leveling
« on: October 19, 2008, 20:26:41 PM »
As we all (i suppose) know, cnc's, edgebanders, etc. need leveling prior to instalation.
This is done usually with a spirit level of 0.05 to 0.01 mm/m accuracy, that's how i do it also, but, i've heard of laser levels with the same accuracy you can use but i can't find any data or products or anything about them. Anybody knows anything?

kam

• Administrator
Re: Leveling
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 23:42:46 PM »
My man!

Why use laser levels for this?

1. To pay a shitload of money to get it?
2. To take more time to level it?
3. To carry a whole luggage for this laser?

With a spirit level you get the job done in no time. And with a little bit practice, you may get to level it within .... 3 moves***

***( the moves start to count from the time that you get a reading on the spirit level)

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 19:00:46 PM »
Yes but spirit levels tend to loose their repeatability, you carry it and falls off and stuff like that, also some machines have not so good milled surfaces and you have to make a mark where exactly you put the level. And after all i like to know for my personal curiosity  ;D.

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 21:25:11 PM »
Nobody knows anything? Lol, must be a small market  :D.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 22:01:40 PM »
Yes but spirit levels tend to loose their repeatability, you carry it and falls off and stuff like that
And laser levels lose their accuracy as they have to be leveled before you level a machine, even if they are self-leveled... You will also carry them, they do not appear at place ;)

also some machines have not so good milled surfaces and you have to make a mark where exactly you put the level.
This will make of no difference

And after all i like to know for my personal curiosity  ;D.
It is an expensive curiosity but this i respect

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 23:47:17 PM »
And laser levels lose their accuracy as they have to be leveled before you level a machine, even if they are self-leveled... You will also carry them, they do not appear at place Wink
Yes but their construction is much more sturdier and they 're not so delicate to impacts and loosing their accuracy. The leveling you must do is very simple compared to what you have to level, a 10 meter edgebander for example.

Of course it makes a differnce

It is an expensive curiosity but this i respect
I think we all have that  ;)

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 10:06:09 AM »
And laser levels lose their accuracy as they have to be leveled before you level a machine, even if they are self-leveled... You will also carry them, they do not appear at place Wink
Yes but their construction is much more sturdier and they 're not so delicate to impacts and loosing their accuracy. The leveling you must do is very simple compared to what you have to level, a 10 meter edgebander for example.
Laser are MORE delicate. So delicate, that they have special carrying cases. Spirit levels are rock solid. You must have confuse something...
The level you must do to a 10m edgebanding, IF you find appropriate places to put the sensors and IF you have enough space to place the laser level device, you will need the same time to level it. And if you need less time to level it,you will after all need too much time to setup all the sensors and the laser level.

Of course it makes a differnce
This will make of no difference. Use a spirit level with less accuracy... Faster and easier.

What you should distinguish is the target application for a laser level. It may be perfect for leveling wide areas or hose nets, but not very good for leveling machines. Having a huge 5tons John Deer may be fast enough for a 10.000m2 field, but is not faster than a hand tool for your garden.