Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Arduino  (Read 7645 times)

spic0m

• Global Moderator
Arduino
« on: May 06, 2009, 19:51:16 PM »
I'm starting to realize (never to late :)) that whatever project comes to my mind halts in a basic thing. i'm missing the "brains" part of the project, no matter how handy i am when it comes to constructing things they become uselles because i have to depend on others to make them "alive", ok i can put some effort and make a ladder diagram and program a PLC but what about my dream robot, or my dream "smart" house? They way i see it, i must consider learning how to program pic's for example, and here's the question. I've heard of mplab and some other stuff used to program pics and i've heard of arduino platform also, anybody know the differences, pros, cons etc. ?
Arduino seems like a more compact solution and with easier learning curve as well as more ready made modules for the simple tasks.
Any opinios would be much appreciated.

kam

• Administrator
Re: Arduino
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 20:59:54 PM »
There are many boards that you can start with.

I am always font of assembly. You can also learn C. Actually, you need to learn. And to learn you need to spend some of your time... No, not some of your time, some of your free time. And to be precise, you need to spend all of your free time and some more. It's a long time procedure.

But as i always say, you only need to beat yourself. Then you have won the war against the others.

But you are not absolutely correct. There are tons of ideas that need no programming. Go for analog. If you stick to robots, you need 100% ucontrollers and programming...

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 22:52:54 PM »
But you are not absolutely correct. There are tons of ideas that need no programming. Go for analog. If you stick to robots, you need 100% ucontrollers and programming...

Yes but the problem is that i want robots and smart home applications and all the good stuff that need programing and the rest.  8)
I'm still checking about pic and arduino, don't know yet, but i think that pic and assembly are harder to master but also more powerfull.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:57:39 AM »
for sure assembly is harder and harder it is. But you talk right in the heart of the pic.... :D

Well, ok, no silly jokes. You do not need to learn asm to get full capabilities of a ucontroller. C does a very nice job and is very much easier (but sometimes slower). This arduino thing, i have never played. How do you program it really? ??? :-\

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 21:36:41 PM »
First of all Arduino is a platform, not a stand alone chip like pic, better is a development board (open source of course :)).
As my little knowledge permits me, both can make the same things more or less but Arduino has ready made extension boards along with the code needed to implement them. For example sensors, web interfaces etc. etc, with pic i don't know something like that.
You can see a Language Reference of Arduino here.
And a last thing, Arduino has programing enviroment for Linux and mac which pic i think does not, i only know mplab and that doesn't run under wine (correct me if i'm wrong).
But still i think pic has more "freedom" of implementation and that's the reason is more difficult to learn.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:54:01 AM »
First of all Arduino is a platform, not a stand alone chip like pic, better is a development board (open source of course :)).
As my little knowledge permits me, both can make the same things more or less but Arduino has ready made extension boards along with the code needed to implement them. For example sensors, web interfaces etc. etc, with pic i don't know something like that.
Can you make your own boards? Or you have to use only those?

And a last thing, Arduino has programing enviroment for Linux and mac which pic i think does not, i only know mplab and that doesn't run under wine (correct me if i'm wrong).
mplab is just the official microchip tools that carries also a debugger when used with special programmers. It works only in windows. There are several programmers except mplab working in any platform possible. As for development environment, you can program pic using notepad or text editor on linux. That would be enough.

But still i think pic has more "freedom" of implementation and that's the reason is more difficult to learn.
Yes it is. Actually, there is nothing that pic can do and assebly cannot make it happen. But as always, less difficulty leads to better reslts. Except of coures if you are an asm phreak.

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 18:38:10 PM »
Can you make your own boards? Or you have to use only those?
I think (not 100% sure) that you can add some additional (third party) boards and even construct the boards from free schematics available in Arduino site.

From Arduino site:
    * Open source and extensible hardware - The Arduino is based on Atmel's ATMEGA8 and ATMEGA168 microcontrollers. The plans for the modules are published under a Creative Commons license, so experienced circuit designers can make their own version of the module, extending it and improving it. Even relatively inexperienced users can build the breadboard version of the module in order to understand how it works and save money.

It doesn't say how extensible is and i also don't know :).

mplab is just the official microchip tools that carries also a debugger when used with special programmers. It works only in windows. There are several programmers except mplab working in any platform possible. As for development environment, you can program pic using notepad or text editor on linux. That would be enough.

I know of other progs for pic in linux but i thought mplab is more easier to use and correct errors. Using plain text and being noob sound like a disaster recipe  ;D.