Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: New way of pc cooling  (Read 6286 times)

spic0m

• Global Moderator
New way of pc cooling
« on: May 25, 2009, 20:13:34 PM »
You water-air-super cooled you desktop pc, ok, but what about you laptop?
Cooling a laptop untill now was left to the own fan and maybe a couple more in a docking station, this thing is about to change thanks to an idea coming from an air purifier!
Sounds weird but the theory is correct and since behind are the MIT guys and an international chip-packaging company things are getting serius.
You can read more in Technology review from MIT and in Scientific American.

If the system works on laptops i wouldn't mind having one in my noisy desktop also. :)

kam

• Administrator
Re: New way of pc cooling
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 21:29:56 PM »
C 8) 8) L

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 22:01:26 PM »
I've seen on TV the air purifiers, even then i liked the no fan concept, but if you can combine it with cooling too then thats SUPERCOOOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

I'll watch this one for sure!

bravodog

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 00:57:16 AM »
This will be able to transfer over to desk tops also if they can nail it down.  Right now the best way I can see to cool a desk top with out any fan noise is to take out the fans and use non-conductive fluid and keep it circulated as it dissipates the heat given off.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 15:34:56 PM »
Conductive fluids are messy though. I would never change fans for nothing but some hybrid cooling.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 22:11:27 PM by kam »

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 20:33:38 PM »
I'm not feeling comfortable having my components soaked in oil, slippy. :)

bravodog

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 05:01:14 AM »
I'm not feeling comfortable having my components soaked in oil, slippy. :)

Me either that,s why I still use fan's and forced cold air :)

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 15:18:44 PM »
After the MAME console i told you that we post this weekend, i have an almost-ready PIC controller with 4x20 blue LCD w/ backlit to control 4 fans rpm+feedback from 3 temperature sensors. This will be the basic platform for my hybrid cooling system that will rock, because here in Greece, summers are usually hot.

Active air cooling is the best for me.

bravodog

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 22:53:16 PM »
After the MAME console i told you that we post this weekend, i have an almost-ready PIC controller with 4x20 blue LCD w/ backlit to control 4 fans rpm+feedback from 3 temperature sensors. This will be the basic platform for my hybrid cooling system that will rock, because here in Greece, summers are usually hot.

Active air cooling is the best for me.

Sweet can't Waite to see it ;)