Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: The dimmer for my room  (Read 4723 times)

zolotas

The dimmer for my room
« on: June 05, 2009, 20:57:29 PM »
Hello frends!

I want to make a project for my room. The project is a 4 light dimmer. I am not very good with electrnics and i want not mikrocontrolers or other very hard things. Easy circuit.

I want to make it with 4 state. First off. Then i click one and turn on soft. Then i click again and light more. Then i click again and light 100%

I must make it with PWM? And how many lamps can i dimmer? Can i dimmer economy lamps?

Finally, it is better the switch to be a touch switch  :D but not very important.

Can you please drive me for first start? For example what kind of circuit i use?

Thank you!

kam

• Administrator
Re: The dimmer for my room
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 22:07:10 PM »
I want to make it with 4 state. First off. Then i click one and turn on soft. Then i click again and light more. Then i click again and light 100%
And next click off, i guess  ::)

I must make it with PWM? And how many lamps can i dimmer? Can i dimmer economy lamps?
No. You make a dimmer... Check out this dimmer theory.

Finally, it is better the switch to be a touch switch  :D but not very important.
Indeed, it is not important, but it is fancy, isn't it? Check out the QT110 or QT116 touch sensor. This would do the job.

Can you please drive me for first start? For example what kind of circuit i use?
Well, you need a dimmer circuit for sure. Then, you need 2 preset values (30% and 70% for example) to do the dimming. A switch (or the QT touch sensor). And a decade counter. The switch (.....) will clock the decade counter. When in 0, light are off. One click and goes to 1, that would set the first scale. You got the point. At count 4, the decade counter will do a reset and go back to 0. You can use a decade counter CD4017 for example.
The 'Hard' part is to change the dimming with the 2 outputs of the decade counter (output 1 and 2, as 0 will be off, 3 will be full and 4 will be reset). For this, you could use a comparator. Each output would drive different voltage to the input 1 of the comparator. The other input should be connected to a transformer and a full cycle rectifier.... Just an idea.

But, the simplest would be to use a dimming chip with touch plate...easy and small. TT8486A/TT6061A is the answer to your problem...

Thank you!
You are welcome

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 18:55:49 PM »
Nice chip but i think it's fancier full fade in -out dimmer. :)

sysKo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 16:55:16 PM »
bye one ready. There is cheap dimmers

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 23:03:10 PM »
i have told you 1000 times, it's not the destination that counts, it's the travel... :P

zolotas

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 09:27:52 AM »
Thank you for your support!

Kam: With the TT8486A/TT6061A can i dimmer economy lamps?

Can you show me a dimmer with the TT8486A/TT6061A?

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 18:13:11 PM »
Economy lamps cannot be dimmed with a normal dimmer. I tried it and failed. I think you need dimmable balasts but i am not very sure.

As for the dimmer circuits, if you google for it you will find thousands.

Here is one for you http://electroschematics.com/2353/touch-dimmer-switch-circuit/