Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Automation for a fireplace  (Read 4055 times)

kam

• Administrator
Automation for a fireplace
« on: December 01, 2009, 19:36:43 PM »
This is an idea 2 years old now, but 2 days ago i found someone that has the knowledge and some kind of experience. I want to make a monitoring system for the fireplace. The fireplace will only receive air from a hose that comes directly outside the house. The air volume will be controlled with a neat stepper motor that i already own. After a short discussion with this guy, he told me that in order to have maximum efficiency without having problems in the chimney, i had to monitor the O2 from the exhaust and the fire temperature.

What i want to find is a temperature meter capable of measuring a fire in the fireplace and an O2 sensor. It could also be nice to have a negative pressure sensor in the air input hose, just for the records.

Kourt, your suggestions.  ;)

kourt

Re: Automation for a fireplace
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 18:16:13 PM »
These ideas only from Kam's brain can  be born. ;D ;D ;D

kourt

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 18:53:33 PM »
Ok , but i can help you ( i think ).
1.Temperature sensor
Usually for these operations we use thermpcouples.The maximum temperature range is 1200o C and there is no problem if you have the sensor in the fire. The material of this  sensor is Ni/Cr.Τhe transmission of the signal is made also with Ni/Cr cable. BUT ,in the point that you connect this cable with  a copper cable ( where ever it is, maybe on PCB ) you must have a temperature sensor in this point ( pt sensor ) to have a measurement and you must SUB this measurement from thermocouple's measurement ( I did my best , i hope you understant ). :)
2.O2 sensor
(Do you know what is the perfect measurement of O2 to excaust ? )
There are many of temperature sensors in the market.BUT, they are expensive if you want to install them inside of the fireplace , or there are cheaper if you use them out of fireplace. ( you can take sample , i don't know how , you use filters e.t.c. )
3.Negative pressure sensor
There are in the market pressure transmitter with minus input , BUT you must pay ;D.
The output signal of these is 4-20mA.
Don't forget , you must PAY for your KAM's ideas  .

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 21:41:28 PM »
Well kourt, of course i will pay, as long as i do not have to sell a house for a sensor. I know that there are negative pressure sensors. What i do not know is where to find them and how much they cost.

The O2 sensor is cheap and i will get it from you.

As for the temp sensor, i will receive it as a donation to pcbheaven  ;)

kourt

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 21:24:42 PM »
The oxygen sensor will cost you about 50-60 Euro ( kourt price ).
For the negative pressure transmitter i do not know yet the cost but it is difficault to find this transmitter because the minus pressure that you will have ( in the air input hose ) will be about 10-20 mbar ( too low ).The most close range of transmitter  in this measurement ( as i know )  is -1/2 bar.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 14:02:50 PM »
The negative pressure i need to measure is in hecto-pascal, and 1 bar is 1000 hecto=pascal! So, in other words, i need to measure from 0 to 0.004 bars :D