Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: i will post the first here!  (Read 6332 times)

Keep_in_mind

i will post the first here!
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:20:11 AM »
Well, a simple and basic question:

What is PLC and what it does?  :)

i often hear about plc but i know nothing about them.

tpone

Re: i will post the first here!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 22:41:31 PM »
A PLC is a device that has multiple I/O ports with different configurations and is used basically in industrial machines and much more. They can be programmed to do some works according to inputs. They where first developed to replace the relays in an automation. They can simulate hundreds of relays.

A star-delta motor starter for example is one very easy and small work that a PLC can make and you will need only the power Relays to make it work.

They can go much much further in automation. They can control for example 10-20 or more analog or digital inputs (from temperature transmitters or proximity switches) and handle same operations like open and close doors, valves, sirens, inverters and today PLC can send and receive SMS or mail via GPRS or internet.

The future is more bright for PLC's but in industrial automations controllers seems to have the basic role.

FelIX

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 01:49:00 AM »
Controllers are total solutions for controlled (as the word says) movement and interpolation of 2 or more axis. PLC is yet not replaced by anything, except of course if you use i/o modules connected to PC via port or optic fiber.

tpone

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 18:34:41 PM »
Kourt has upload a project using PLC. Check dis out

kourt

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 19:40:49 PM »
Yes...

FelIX

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 20:32:14 PM »
Nice project!

kourt

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 21:13:25 PM »
Thanks

Keep_in_mind

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 17:31:27 PM »
And what is the use of it? Any example?

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 18:49:57 PM »
It replaces the automation for a certain job. For example, if you want a star-delta with reverse control of a motor automation, then you need 4 relays for power and some 5-6 relays for the automation. These 5-6 relays can be replaced by a PLC.

If you want an automation that will check the lever of a tank, the temperature of the petrol, the speed of the vessel, the position of the speed selector and the gear on the reverse, then you put a PLC. The PLC will check all these parameters and accordingly open more or less the petrol flow.

There are millions of millions of automations that a PLC can effectively change the classic automations.

kourt

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 16:20:34 PM »
Great cam ;)

SiEger

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 20:50:41 PM »
 :) ;) ;)

beatttax73

i will post the first here
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 19:32:13 PM »
it will take a bit to smooth out all the issues at first, but it will be better soon