Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: PWR FAN on motherboard to new Power Supply Unit Wiring  (Read 3322 times)

jan@redfishdesign.ca

PWR FAN on motherboard to new Power Supply Unit Wiring
« on: October 21, 2011, 15:08:43 PM »
I am new to your forum and in advance would like to thank you all for bending your ears and asking for advice.
I have earlier made inquiry on a posting within "How PC Fans Work" by Giorgos Lazaridis, and I have been asked by Kammenoesto upload some photo's to help explain.
At 19 October 2011, 12:02:23 user Jan wrote:
I recently replaced my old Antec SP-450 450Watt Power Supply Unit with a new OCZ600MXSP ModXStream-Pro 600Watt. I have an ASUS P5LD2-VM Motherboard. When I removed the old PSU I removed a 2 wire lead (photo) from the existing PSU a 3 pin termination  labeled CPU PWR FAN on the MOBO.
Upon installation of the new PSU, there is no 2 or 3 wire feed for this.. is it that the new PSU supplies a 4 pin for installation and I need a converter from 4pin to 3 pin? Any help appreciated as I don't want to screw something up [color]

At 19 October 2011, 18:37:34 user Jan wrote:
I suppose I am a bit confused as from what I see, the power supply was feeding the board to 3 pin mount. The feed from the old PSU was only 2 wires. Perhaps It was for monitoring the PSU? Two wires, blue & black. one on each end of the 3 pin board mounting..

What is the PWR FAN 3 pin mount (photo) on my ASUS P5LD2-VM motherboard for?  Previously a 2 wire power lead was connected to this –not a fan.  I have no 2 or 3 wire leads from the new PSU.  Is the 3 pin connector on the mother board labeled "PWR FAN" for monitoring or does it distribute power through the board to alternate fan connection points?  I am at a loss here.  CPU Heat Sink Fan connects at another point on the board and power supply to my Case Fan wiring are both working.

Within the BIOS Hardware Monitor I no longer have any readings for Power Fan Speed (RPM) – I assume because this 2 pin is not connected, it used to read between 1150 & 1550 RPM however at that time my CPU Fan Speed was much at almost a constant 856 RPM – now it is reading in the 1500’s.. that’s almost double from what it was. With the new PSU, the CPU Q-Fan Control has now been automatically enabled.  Perhaps the increase in fan speed is from the additional power from the new PSU (450 Watt to 600)?

Auugghh.. how much more do I explain without knowing what information you folks really need to help me?  Again, thanks for any input your group may be able to offer.
  I have tried to upload photo's again.. having some problems with SERVER ERROR 500 occurring once uploading is almost complete
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 15:49:44 PM by Jan »

jan@redfishdesign.ca

Re: PWR FAN on motherboard to new Power Supply Unit Wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 15:32:50 PM »
Doing some more surfing this morning and found this posting on Tom's Hardware.. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/178612-30-question-pwr_fan-connector

It looks as if it may be for the mother board to moniter the Power Supply Unit.  IF this IS the case, wouldn't all PSU's want to be monitered by the user as an option?  Perhaps I take another closer look on the mfg site again.?  Glad I have not hooked some real power feed to this so far.. the wires did look a bit thin to be carring a heavier line -looks to be a 22ga-24ga or so.

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 20:13:00 PM »
If you read the manual for your board it is clear that it is for the PSU fun, IF the PSU supports this function. So just leave it unconnected. Of course  you will not get a reading for rpm. Also, from the photos i can tell that this is a normal fan connector... Just ignore it.

jan@redfishdesign.ca

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 23:13:40 PM »
Thank you Kam for your wisom. It must be that male gene in me to forget all about reading the directions.. I should have searched for the board's manual online.