Home     Contact     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  
   
 Home      Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   


<< Back to INDEX

Fermi telescope discovered the origin of Cosmic Rays [Space]
posted February 25 2013 21:28.48 by Giorgos Lazaridis




First, what is a cosmic ray? A cosmic ray is mainly subatomic particles which travel into space, accelerated to nearly the speed of light. 90% of these particles are protons, and the rest 10% are electrons and atomic nuclei. Since these particles carry a charge, they can be deflected by certain magnetic fields, just like the Earth's magnetic field deflects the Sun's charged particles during a solar storm. This means that they do not travel into a straight line (like Gama rays do) but rather in a random pattern, making it impossible to track their origins directly.

There is another phenomenon that these charged particles can trigger. If they collide with other protons or electrons, they produce another particle called "Pion", which quickly decays into a burst of two gamma rays.

Scientists analyzed the data of 4 years from the Fermi telescope, from two supernova remnants known as IC 443 and W44. Until now we were not quite sure if this gamma ray emission was caused by cosmic-ray protons colliding with electrons or other protons, because they both produce similar energy level light. But after using very sensitive equipment, Fermi scientists managed to discover some sort of a fingertip for a proton-proton collision...




[Link: SpaceRip]
 
Share



You might also like...


Amazing new touchscreen interface! [Technology]

New Bidirectional Digital Isolator by Analog Devices [New Product]

High Speed USB 3.0 interface with a single chip

This PIC16F1769 8-bit MCU family offers so much for a low price

Microsoft uses ultrasound technology to detect gestures [Computers]

ADA4870 High Speed High Voltage 1A Output Drive Amplifier [News]

Electric power from pee - Innovation from 4 Nigerian students [Energy]

Nanobatteries may kill gasoline in the future [Science]


<< Back to INDEX



Comments

  Name

  Email (shall not be published)

  Website

Notify me of new posts via email


Write your comments below:
BEFORE you post a comment:You are welcome to comment for corrections and suggestions on this page. But if you have questions please use the forum instead to post it. Thank you.


      

No comment yet...

Be the first to comment on this page!












 Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS   

Site design: Giorgos Lazaridis
© Copyright 2008
Please read the Terms of services and the Privacy policy